1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! Horrible bearing whirling noise!

Thomas1 Aug 29, 2012

1. Thomas1

Thomas1 New Member

Hi all!

I have an A3 2.0tdi 2003, owned for 5 months now and couple months ago a whirling noise started. I have experience as a mechanic years ago but not enough to solve this problem. The "bearing like" grind seems to happen when applying the throttle over a crest or bumps @ 20mph+ however this does not happen around corners or on a flat straight. Only when the weight seems to lift off the wheels. I have checked for play in both front wheels but they are fine, i have had the wheels off checking for any rubbing marks or anything loose.. again fine. I have a feeling it could be something to do with one of the drive shafts but i have been told to go full lock in a circle both ways and listen for a clicking noise.. again it seems to be fine. Has anybody had a similar problem or could give me some advice please? Would be much appreciated, Thanks all, Tom.

2. A3_Adam

A3_Adam Member

Not 100% certain but had a similar sort of noise on my 53 reg A3 when I lowered it. Turned out it was a large stone stuck between the rear of the brake disk and splash guard :laugh:.

3. Thomas1

Thomas1 New Member

Yeh i had a look for any obstructions.. only stripped the caliper etc on the one side but couldnt see anything. Its driving me crazy!! ..Nice facelift by the way, i have the split grill, drop grill looks far nicer!