1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help from the IT bods.

beaker Mar 31, 2006

1. beaker

beaker Member

I keep getting blue screen of death on my PC. Happens a hell of a lot. What sort of stuff causes this? I'm thinking it might be my RAM but I'm not sure.

2. Beerzo

Beerzo Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!

Blue screens of death are usually pretty serious faults, but on the other hand they can be not so serious. (GOD DAMN WORLD OF PC'S)

Is it displaying any fault details or error messages?

3. The Slug

The Slug Active Member

Windows is tripping over, get XP pro on there

4. nickel101

nickel101 Member

could be a number of things:

Hard Disk failing
    Overheating
    Memory problem.

What Are you doing anything when you get the Blue screen.

What OS are you running?

5. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[ QUOTE ]
    could be a number of things:

Hard Disk failing
    Overheating
    Memory problem.

What Are you doing anything when you get the Blue screen.

What OS are you running?

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said - these are the most likely unless you've recently installed some hardware or software and your machine doesn't like it!

6. hop2407

hop2407 Active Member

In my experience, alot of Blue screening is usually down to some sort of memory problem.....

7. C_Audiboy

C_Audiboy Vroom Vroom

[ QUOTE ]
    Blue screens of death are usually pretty serious faults, but on the other hand they can be not so serious. (GOD DAMN WORLD OF PC'S)

Is it displaying any fault details or error messages?

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY U STEALING MY AVATAR!!!!

(off topic)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. C_Audiboy

C_Audiboy Vroom Vroom

[ QUOTE ]
    I keep getting blue screen of death on my PC. Happens a hell of a lot. What sort of stuff causes this? I'm thinking it might be my RAM but I'm not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

What OS are you running???

If OS is Win 2k or XP, checking out the Event Viewer > System log. This is always a good place to start.

This will let you know if any hardware issues exist that the system is flagging up and might give you a place to start.

9. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Has anything changed?

Hard Disk making any funny noises?

Try taking the ram out and put it back one stick at a time.

10. The Slug

The Slug Active Member

If its RAM, it'll beep on boot up

11. Beerzo

Beerzo Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!

Hey everyone should have this avatar i am just helpling spread the joy it brings

12. imported_hookie

imported_hookie Guest

More than likely a device driver accessing memory and appearing as a memory fault

13. CJ A4

CJ A4 Active Member

Basically when your Blue screen of death (BSOD) appears. There should be text near the top left which will give you an indication of what the problem is. Try to get any relevant info off the screen when it happens (providing your pc isn't set to automatic reboot on dump) and let us know what it says.

It could very well be a memory issue...check your virtual memory setup too. Make sure your video card settings in the BIOS is set on 64 or 128 Meg cache if its on 256 i recommend lowering it too. Good luck.

14. The Slug

The Slug Active Member

Give us some more info Beaker, this may help......mind you if his PC isnt workin now, how can he, lol

15. beaker

beaker Member

Jeez, its a flood, cheers guys. I'll check out some of this stuff when I get home.

I'm running XP Pro. There is now a funny noise from inside but I didn't think much of it. I'm pretty sure its been blue screening before then. I'll check that event log and see if it sheds some light. I remember googling the error message on the blue screen and seen mention of RAM conflicts so I was guessing this might be the problem.

It happens randomly, I might be doing a lot with the PC, or just on the net. Just happens sometimes.

Anyhow, I'll check it later and let you know more info.

16. madvw

madvw Active Member

OK, the best way i've found to make sure your ram is stable is to download a program called Prime95 from http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Once installed, run it, an from the tools menu, select "torture test", then select the one that uses the most ram.

this will then test every last drop of RAM you have - just leave it running for about an hour (or days if you wish)..

If there are any errors, they will scroll up the screen as soon as calculation errors are found.

I've yet to find a better way of testing unstable systems.

17. nickel101

nickel101 Member

if there's a wierd noise.

it's either:

Hard disk failing

or Overheating.. could be your CPU fan is clogged up with ****, give it a clean.

18. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    If its RAM, it'll beep on boot up

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, not everytime..

I've had many a machine fail due to memory stick faults (bad timing etc) without the usual POST beeps.

Bloody computers!

19. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Active Member

Have you any anti spyware software inistalled? If you haven't installed any new software recently you could have visited a site on the web thats installed something.

I kept having to rebuild a friends 2 laptops because of BSOD and the cause was them getting drunk and surfing some questionable sites...

J.

20. beaker

beaker Member

I've got adaware and spybot. No problems detected with them.

Madvw, thanks for the link. I'll give that a go now.

21. beaker

beaker Member

OK, its just happened again! so I've written down what the blue screen says...

BAD_POOL_HEADER

*** STOP: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0xE2B8FA08, 0xE2B8FAB8, 0x0C16040B)

I also ran that Prime95 program mentioned above for about an hour. It reported no errors. None that I could see on the main screen anyway.

I was only running Firefox when it crashed.

22. Mart

Mart Active Member

BAD_POOL_HEADER

Probably a driver issue of some sort. Could be to do with a router, could be linked to a piece of software.
    May be a reinstall if you cannot track it. Don't think it's hardware though!

23. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, its just happened again! so I've written down what the blue screen says...

BAD_POOL_HEADER

*** STOP: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0xE2B8FA08, 0xE2B8FAB8, 0x0C16040B)

I also ran that Prime95 program mentioned above for about an hour. It reported no errors. None that I could see on the main screen anyway.

I was only running Firefox when it crashed.

[/ QUOTE ]
    ...The message you've posted along with the note that you were only physically running Firefox (apart from memory-resident system processes etc.) at the time of the crash is quite interesting...

If you're still stuck, fire me a PM and I'll give you an e-mail address to send a system report to...

To generate the report...

Click Start, Run, Type "msinfo32" (without quotes), hit enter. A System Information dialogue box will open up; give it a little while to think (can be anything from 10 seconds to a minute); once it's loaded all the info and drawn the tree; hit file, then export. Give the file a name something like sysinfo.txt and save it to a location you can easily find.

...Fire that to the email addy I'll send...

Regards,

Rob.

PS> It will be useful to know how you connect to the internet (ADSL, Cable-Broadband (NTL, Telewest), Direct Ethernet, Dial-Up etc.) - although I'll probably be able to figure that out from the sysinfo.txt; also - it'd be interesting to know what security software you run (anti-virus, firewall etc.) - specifcally anything with a firewall portion (ie- anything which might install a virtual-NIC layer)...

24. Mart

Mart Active Member

This may also help: Not so sure on info on this, as more of a Mac man myself

When Windows crashes with blue screen, it writes a system event 1001 and a minidump to the folder \windows\minidump. Check system event 1001 and it has the content of the blue screen

Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System -> Event 1001

May help out in narrowing it down a bit!

25. bainsyboy

bainsyboy Guest

i copied your error message into my browser and seems to be a registry error, when my old hard drive was dying i typed the error into the browser and i got loads of info stating that it was the hard disk dying, i then tried computeractives web site and that backed it up as well, give that a go

This seems to be the problem you are reporting

http://connectivity.hummingbird.com/support/nc/nfs/nfs8003403.html?cks=y

but seeming as i know nowt about computers means nothing to me, and i personally wouldnt attempt there advice, if you copy the whole of your error ie the numbers as well it seems to say its a registry error, if im talking nonsense (im not allowed to use swear words now ) then like i have said i know nowt about computers, I would try computeractives web site as that is very very helpful

26. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator Staff Member Administrator

27. bainsyboy

bainsyboy Guest

Oh well i tried but theres loads of results if you type the problem in, some are stating xp2 problem if you have just installed xp2, but im not going to look at all the results, unless i get the same problem