1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP - Engine/Transmission Sound

Chris Norman Sep 7, 2012

1. Chris Norman

Chris Norman New Member

Hi Folks,

Before i bought my car (1 week ago). I made sure the garage fitted a new clutch as it was making a funny sound when changing gears.

I was told this was done and the car felt great driving away from the garage. Then i started noticing something wasn't right.

The car seems to pull strong until about 70-80mph when it just runs out of steam. When cruising along at 40-50mph when i touch the accelerator a little but just to maintain speed i am welcomed with a whirring grinding noise.

Now i was told i have a 1 month warranty on mechanics from the garage i bought the car from. I am looking to you guys to point me in the right direction of what it could be and where i stand with the garage. I have already been told of one mechanic that it could be the flywheel as this may not have been replaced with the clutch.

I just cant under stand why the car runs out of steam but i dont feel anything slipping.

Car is a 56 plate B7 Avant 2.0 TFSI Special Edition.

Cheers for any pointers as i am royally crapping it that i may have bought a fooked car....

2. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member VCDS Map User

Someone with more Knowledge will be along soon. But i always assumed you should change the dual mass flywheel at the same time. I may be wrong. But due to the cost of one maybe they dodged doing it. Hope you get it sorted mate

3. Paul B7

Paul B7 Active Member

Rizzini7 is correct, when changing a clutch you should change the Dual Mass Flywheel.

4. Chris Norman

Chris Norman New Member

I suspected this. Would this cause the drop in power making it hard to pass 80mph?

5. Paul B7

Paul B7 Active Member

My thoughts are that the DMF and your specific problen are two separate issues.

6. Chris Norman

Chris Norman New Member

Why did you have to say that........

7. hades-

hades- Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

yeah dualmass should really be changed with clutch
    and as above id say 2 problems
    clutch wont hold the speed down.