1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP - Engine/Transmission Sound

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by Chris Norman, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Chris Norman

Chris Norman New Member

[Sep 7, 2012]
    Hi Folks,

Before i bought my car (1 week ago). I made sure the garage fitted a new clutch as it was making a funny sound when changing gears.

I was told this was done and the car felt great driving away from the garage. Then i started noticing something wasn't right.

The car seems to pull strong until about 70-80mph when it just runs out of steam. When cruising along at 40-50mph when i touch the accelerator a little but just to maintain speed i am welcomed with a whirring grinding noise.

Now i was told i have a 1 month warranty on mechanics from the garage i bought the car from. I am looking to you guys to point me in the right direction of what it could be and where i stand with the garage. I have already been told of one mechanic that it could be the flywheel as this may not have been replaced with the clutch.

I just cant under stand why the car runs out of steam but i dont feel anything slipping.

Car is a 56 plate B7 Avant 2.0 TFSI Special Edition.

Cheers for any pointers as i am royally crapping it that i may have bought a fooked car....
  2. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[Sep 8, 2012]
    Someone with more Knowledge will be along soon. But i always assumed you should change the dual mass flywheel at the same time. I may be wrong. But due to the cost of one maybe they dodged doing it. Hope you get it sorted mate
  3. Paul B7

Paul B7 Active Member

[Sep 8, 2012]
    Rizzini7 is correct, when changing a clutch you should change the Dual Mass Flywheel.
  4. Chris Norman

Chris Norman New Member

[Sep 8, 2012]
    I suspected this. Would this cause the drop in power making it hard to pass 80mph?
  5. Paul B7

Paul B7 Active Member

[Sep 8, 2012]
    My thoughts are that the DMF and your specific problen are two separate issues.
  6. Chris Norman

Chris Norman New Member

[Sep 8, 2012]
    Why did you have to say that........
  7. hades-

hades- Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Sep 8, 2012]
    yeah dualmass should really be changed with clutch
    and as above id say 2 problems
    clutch wont hold the speed down.