1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

...Help, electrical / brake lights issue nightmare!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Maz, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Maz

Maz Moon is made of green cheese

Evening all,

It's cold, dark, my hands are shredded and I'm about to set light to the car if i can’t get it sorted.

This all started with the little bulb warning with the x in the middle light up on the dash this past week. I noticed the passenger side brake light wasn't working. Tried to change it over the weekend, it worked for a second then stopped working after I’d bolted everything back up again, typical. I have a mac sub back there as well so that makes things even more tricky as there isn’t enough room to access the bulbs without taking the rear lens off.

Thought the bulb may have been faulty so picked up a few more today and attempted again, still no luck...

At the moment when I press the brake pedal with headlights switched off the passenger side still doesn't work. The drivers side brake light and the high level one work fine although it also flashes the front drivers side beam when the pedal is pressed... lol

With headlights switched on the passenger side not lighting up at all but the drivers side and high level brake light stay permanently on.

…I’m thinking it’s either got to be crappy bulbs or brake light switch, what do you guys think?
  2. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Have you scanned the car? Normally VCDS will flag up if the brake light switch is at fault.
  3. Maz

Maz Moon is made of green cheese

No, don't have it. :(

Thing is I changed the brake light switch early this year, it can't have failed already???
  4. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

To be honest mate if it was the brake light switch all your brake lights would be behaving the same, as in none of them lighting up when you press the brake pedal.