1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - dilemma, first trip on 1st March

Itguy Feb 20, 2014

1. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member Team Cosmos quattro Audi A3 S-line owners group TDi DSG

The law still says you have to carry 2 though

2. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

No one is questioning that cemerson . See post hash 24 . They come in packs of 2 .

3. andy203

andy203 181 BHP

Where did you get them from? The last ones I purchased were more than this by some way.

4. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

French Hypermarket . Le Clerc or having checked with Mrs it could have been Cora . She reckons we paid less than £5 for 2 packets of 2.

5. andy203

andy203 181 BHP

Thanks, next trip over will stop and pick some up. Current one have nearly got to the expiry date.

6. Dan_G

Dan_G Well-Known Member Team Navarra Audi S3 SQ5 owners group

eBay sell them too.

7. Pulp84

Pulp84 Well-Known Member Audi S3

That is correct. The Gendarme carry their own devices and from what I can see, the whole car breathalyser thing is to assist the typical French man who may have had one too many glasses of wine at lunch to check their fitness to drive.

My Mrs is French and when we go to see her parents (Montpellier) it seems to be a big problem with the locals drink driving at lunch time and then heading back to the office.

PilotAudi likes this.
  8. Dtwm1

Dtwm1 Active Member

Just bringing up an old topic after doing a search. I'm debating going across to France and possibly driving around Europe in a few months. I've read up on the kit you need in France but struggling with headlights of all things. Firstly mine are angled to drive in the uk, now I've seen in the works s-class that they can be angled for driving abroad from the merc mmi. Is this possible on the a3 as I've not seen the option? Secondly, in terms of bulbs what are the rules, do I need a spare set? As I've got the s-line it's not like I could change xenons myself easily.

@Pulp84 @h5djr I know you've both done a lot on driving abroad, any advice?

9. Daveotto

Daveotto Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team Floret Silver Gold Supporter Audi S3 S3 Saloon

I see from your footer you have s-line and therefor xenons so no need to change anything as by default you get a flatter beam with xenons so will not dazzle oncoming drivers.

Tbh with all the differences in lights these days it is virtually impossible to police in terms of angle and spare bulbs but not an issue if you have xenons

10. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

If you have xenon headlights there is a setting in the MMI system for setting the headlights to "Lights for driving on the right". This is under Car Systems - Vehicle settings - Exterior lighting. Once you change this when you turn on the ignition you will get a message about Headlights in Tourist Mode.

11. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl VCDS Map User Black Edition

The MMI adjustment is only if you have Adaptive Xenons though, correct? Standard Xenons don't have the MMI adjustment option.

More on lights and driving abroad:
    http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/xenon-versus-led-headlight-option.219188/
    http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/europe-driving-headlight-conversion.191295/
    http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/xenons-and-driving-abroad.173144/

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  12. glospete

glospete Well-Known Member Team Glacier Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group Audi A3 S-line owners group Audi TT

And if you have LED headlights they use the Connect SatNav to detect which country you are in and change accordingly! How clever is that?

13. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member Team Cosmos quattro Audi A3 S-line owners group TDi DSG

This is correct - standard xenons don't need adjustment because they don't light up the road in the same way (not sure on the details), and the adaptive xenons have the option in the MMI to adjust. Surprised it doesn't do it for you with the sat nav (or at least prompt you to do it) to be honest (from what I can tell - I may be wrong. Not been abroad with my car yet)

14. The_Ironist

The_Ironist Active Member

What if you don't have sat nav?

15. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl VCDS Map User Black Edition

Never ever drive abroad.

Or if you do, don't switch your lights on.

RedTurtle, elpaulio and cemerson like this.
  16. dieselguy

dieselguy Active Member

Like the posts above, the adaptive lights can be adjusted in the MMI. If you can't change it then you can buy a sticker pack and stick it on yourself for the duration of the trip. TBH all the stuff I bought (breathalysers, warning triangles, yellow vests etc) were still in its original packaging and never been touched. I went though a number of countries (france, holland, belgium and germany) and no one cared to check if I had any of the stuff. I'm not saying don't get them though…..

17. alistairm1

alistairm1 Active Member

If you have LED lights and no satnav, there is an MMI setting to adjust the beam for continental driving.

18. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

I've taken my various A3s to France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria and Switzerland very many times over the past years and I've never been asked for any documentation or had anything checked. But you can guarantee that the first time I forget any of the required items I will be stopped and checked.

aurian likes this.