1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help diagnosing a fault needed......

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by Jonny46, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Jonny46

Jonny46 New Member

[Feb 14, 2013]
    Hi Guys,

I have a 2005.5 140 TDi S Line Avant that's covered 135K and it has a fault with the steering. When the car is on full lock it feels like the front tyres are 'skipping' or 'Jumping" whilst the car is moving. I don't know how to describe it properly but it feels like the car is sort of over steering making it feel like the tracking or camber is out. I'm getting excess wear on the inside and outside edges of tyres, whilst the centers have approx. 4-4.5mm. The cars running 18" DTM alloys with matching 235 Michellins all round.

I've taken the car to a local garage and they had it on the ramp for an inspection. They told me that there's no play in any of the bushes, bottom arms etc. and the car appears fine. It may appear fine but it isn't.

I've taken it to the local Brittania tyres who laser aligned the tracking, caster, camber. 3 adjustments were required which I had done and the car drives just the same, which makes me think that there is something worn and is moving/has play that appears when the car is driven. Driving it around a multi-storey car park is an issue as the tight turns really exaggerate the problem.
    Would the lower cradle bushes cause this?

I know a lot of people are hard on this model due to the oil pump issues but the car hasn't given any issues at all other than the rear wiper giving up the ghost. The wifes had it 5 years now without a hitch ( I hope I haven't just tempted fate! ) and It wasn't until I drove it for the first time in months that I realised that things weren't right.

I'm handy with spanners but no longer have access to workshop facilities due to a career change.

Does anybody know or can recommend a good Independent in the Nuneaton/Coventry area that could look at the car? I'd really like to get it diagnosed and sorted out as it spoils what is otherwise a great car.

Thank you in advance for any help that is offered.

John.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. Steve220

Steve220 Member

[Feb 14, 2013]
    Are the wheels scrubbing in the arch? Take the from wheels off and have a look for wear - its a start.