HELP: Clutch Upgrade 1.8T Quattro Sport

Jimbo.King

Reaction score
Hi, i have done some searches on the forum and the internet for uprated clutches for the 1.8T Quattro sport and found that some upgraded ones you have to use a different flywheel to go with the clutch kit and not original Audi flywheel.

Also a lot of uprated clutch kits are listed for the 1.8t and don’t mention if it fits the Quattro, is the first motion shaft splines that go into the clutch plate on a 2wd 1.8t gearbox the same size etc as a 1.8t Quattro gearbox.

I have looked on the Car Parts Online Catalogue (http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/au/A4Q/2000/224/49/2804860/) and there is quite a few part numbers listed for the clutch parts on the AJL engine code (which mine is), and wondering is there something special about the clutch for this engine, apart from it being the 180bhp model as apposed to the 150bhp.

I just don’t want to end up getting an uprated clutch kit for what i thought was for my car and getting the gearbox out to find it won’t fit.

Has anyone got an uprated clutch fitted to the original Audi flywheel on a 1.8T Quattro Sport and if so any chance of a link or name of it + part numbers to the one you have fitted and any other info that might be helpful would be Greatly appreciated.

Im after keeping the original audi dual mass flywheel, clutch upgrade to a max of of 250bhp and driver friendly round town etc

I have ordered a southbend one from the US. Loads of a4 quattro guys over there recommend them. Then just get the stage which suits your needs.

Cheers.

VAG recommend that you change the dual mass at the same time as the clutch, if you don't it can cause pre-mature failure of your new clutch!
IMO you should get a clutch AND flywheel and do them both... I'm going to.

which south bend did you get? I am looking at a stage 4 at $585.
not changing my flywheel either.

WHY??? Seems pointless to me to have the 'box out and not replace the dual m'***! Have you ever seen one fail? It'd change your mind if you had...

THIS is what i'm gonna go for when my clutch fails,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XTD-RACING-CLUTCH-FLYWHEEL-96-01-AUDI-A4-1-8L-TURBO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQihZ009QQitemZ190167068010QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-RACING-STAGE-3-CLUTCH-FLYWHEEL-AUDI-A4-1-8-TURBO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQihZ005QQitemZ150177124867QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I've got a stage 3 F1 clutch in my civic turbo, it's awesome!

Well I will inspect it and see if it is needing replaced. I will look for cracks etc. I reccon it will be fine. Plus I will be getting my mate to fit it so its not going to cost much to fit.

I am gonna get the OFE stage 4 one JCB. Quite a high stage one for my car I know but I hope to eventually get a GT28rs or something so just am putting in a better spec one now.
Plus most people on the US forums say the stage 4 feels almost stock too.

deejay said:
WHY??? Seems pointless to me to have the 'box out and not replace the dual m'***! Have you ever seen one fail? It'd change your mind if you had...

Ever spoken to people who have fitted Spec, Finanza etc lightweight clutches to high power turbo 4WD cars?
AMD have a "pile of them in the corner" to quote
just go and search on Vortex....hundreds on examples.

I don't want transmission chatter, I do want a smoother launch, I am not that bothered about the weight.....and yes I have seen them fail, not half as often as I have seen people post up pics of aftermarket clutches and flywheels in bits.

but each to there own

Oh..and $500 clutch and flywheel combos from eBay?! jesus!

jcb said:
Ever spoken to people who have fitted Spec, Finanza etc lightweight clutches to high power turbo 4WD cars?
AMD have a "pile of them in the corner" to quote
just go and search on Vortex....hundreds on examples.

I don't want transmission chatter, I do want a smoother launch, I am not that bothered about the weight.....and yes I have seen them fail, not half as often as I have seen people post up pics of aftermarket clutches and flywheels in bits.

but each to there own

Oh..and $500 clutch and flywheel combos from eBay?! jesus!

Like i said, i've got one in my civic at the moment and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them...

jcb said:
I don't want transmission chatter, I do want a smoother launch, I am not that bothered about the weight...

This is why i am after keeping the dual mass flywheel, paddle clutches and town driving dont mix, there too much like an on / off switch imo

deejay said:
I know its more a less standard practice to replace it when you do the clutch but at £200+ and the clutch on top it gets a little expensive.
Im going to check the play / condition of the flywheel and if its excessive it will be replaced.
When you doing the work youself and not paying for someone to take the box out and back in you can cut corners slightly and do them at a later date.
Usually when they start to fail you get vibration / judder at biting point and they rattle on tick over. You want to see some of the ones we get in at work.:scared2:

might be audi's standard practice, and I am not sure about that, but I have never put new flywheels on any of my cars when adding a new clutch.

Hi guys, has anyone got an update on this thread?

I'm poised to order a Stage 4 OFE from Southbend...
Soupie69, have you received/fitted yours yet?
Jim, have you got stuck into the clutch, and is it really worth doing the flywheel?

Enquiring minds wanna know!!:huh:

mine arrives next week I hope!

Guys, are there no decent uprated clutch kits available from these shores?

I thought AP and Sachs did good uprated kits.

N

Edit: Ok, can't find fitments for the A4s. ECS have some listed, can we use parts from the S4?

Soupie / Jim - where are we at with Southbend?
Do I order?
(my clutch is starting to get annoying when I have to nip out into traffic!)

Im looking at the Southbend OFE stage 3 clutch, this should be fine. How much is shipping to the UK ?

It might be worth trying to get a discount on 2 clutches and combined postage.

Hey folks mine arrived on monday. Not sure when I will get it fitted.

Maybe in 2 weeks as my car has its mot next week so I dont think it will be then.

$660 shipped for a stage 4 OFE

steer clear of spec fw's heard nothing but bad things

JCB you got your stage 4 now? I could not tell you if mine is even a stage 4 to look at. Just have to assume they sent me the right one.

not yet, paid for it yesterday, think it should be here next week
will let you know