1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help choosing an A3

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by dannyh, Jul 5, 2009.

1. dannyh

dannyh Nogaro S3

[Jul 5, 2009]
    hello i am new and i currently have a vauxhall astra Mk4 1.6 and i want somthing quicker, i seriously want an audi A3 1.8T and i have a budget of 3000 but when i look they all have 100,000+ miles on the clock appart for 1 or 2 with a bit less, is that ok milage i mean how long do the engine last, is it a strong block and if i did have an A3 with that many miles whats the tuning possabilities can it be remaped or will it break it,

Help please

Cheers danny
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 18, 2014]

3. S90GAV

S90GAV Member

[Jul 5, 2009]
    welcome to the site, from what ive read aslong as the engine has been well looked after with a regualr service that mileage will be fine, i know they are a few users on here that have than kind of mileage and have had their's remapped and are running fine to this day.
  4. jonny taylor

jonny taylor JPT

[Jul 5, 2009]
  5. dannyh

dannyh Nogaro S3

[Jul 5, 2009]
    cheers its a little far out of the way though lol ime from manchester.
    is there any thing i should look out for when buying a high milage car??????
  6. emery1990

emery1990 Active Member

[Jul 5, 2009]
    cambelt and water pump should of been changed at 80k and 120k, erm make sure its got full service history, get it hpi checked to just in case. check for rust etc. on sunroof around the bottoms of doors.
  7. dannyh

dannyh Nogaro S3

[Jul 5, 2009]
    test drove a audi A3 1.8 t sport it was verry nice and drove well just a couple of things bug me.....
    it has lots of little scratches and quite a dep on on the bonett
    the alloy wheel is peeling
    it is a V reg 2000yr with 62000 on the clock and its up for 3100 when most cars that age and price hae 90000
    and it has no service history just the last MOT certificate
    it make a skweek noise when it starts, lasts about half a second
    when you are driving the wheel has to be held with and ever so slight turn to the left, basically if i held the wheel streight i would slowly moove to the other side of the road
    and the center display inbetween the rev counter and speedo is only half workin lots of lines are not working,
    and cam belt and water pump havent been changed
    other than that it was fine, all new tyres in black with full leather interiour,

whats you thoughts guys
  8. Andy_S3

Andy_S3 Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 5, 2009]
    I would walk away mate personally. With regards to the mileage you could do an MOT check http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ECHID-Internet-History-Request.jsp

providing you have the cars details, see what comes up there. What's the leather seats like? If the drivers side is really worn and cracked it could be a sign that the mileage is wrong. Mine has just turned 70k and the seats are still in pretty good nic.
    The central display, or 'DIS' problem is a common one, and can be fixed iirc.
    If the cambely hasnt been changed in over 9 years, Id be worried!
  9. A3Tom

A3Tom Smell my finger.

[Jul 5, 2009]
    Avoid a car with no history.

T
  10. dannyh

dannyh Nogaro S3

[Jul 6, 2009]
    ye thats what is keeping me away, also the fact that it has quite a few scratches on in,

i need to keep my eyes open for a better one
  11. Andy_S3

Andy_S3 Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 6, 2009]
    I know its hard mate, but try and be patient, I viewed several 'bangers' before I found mine, and it was well worth the wait!
  12. dannyh

dannyh Nogaro S3

[Jul 6, 2009]
    ye it is hard mate but i no that i have to wait for the right one to come allong