Help choosing an A3

dannyh

Nogaro S3
Reaction score
hello i am new and i currently have a vauxhall astra Mk4 1.6 and i want somthing quicker, i seriously want an audi A3 1.8T and i have a budget of 3000 but when i look they all have 100,000+ miles on the clock appart for 1 or 2 with a bit less, is that ok milage i mean how long do the engine last, is it a strong block and if i did have an A3 with that many miles whats the tuning possabilities can it be remaped or will it break it,

Help please

Cheers danny

welcome to the site, from what ive read aslong as the engine has been well looked after with a regualr service that mileage will be fine, i know they are a few users on here that have than kind of mileage and have had their's remapped and are running fine to this day.

cheers its a little far out of the way though lol ime from manchester.
is there any thing i should look out for when buying a high milage car??????

cambelt and water pump should of been changed at 80k and 120k, erm make sure its got full service history, get it hpi checked to just in case. check for rust etc. on sunroof around the bottoms of doors.

test drove a audi A3 1.8 t sport it was verry nice and drove well just a couple of things bug me.....
it has lots of little scratches and quite a dep on on the bonett
the alloy wheel is peeling
it is a V reg 2000yr with 62000 on the clock and its up for 3100 when most cars that age and price hae 90000
and it has no service history just the last MOT certificate
it make a skweek noise when it starts, lasts about half a second
when you are driving the wheel has to be held with and ever so slight turn to the left, basically if i held the wheel streight i would slowly moove to the other side of the road
and the center display inbetween the rev counter and speedo is only half workin lots of lines are not working,
and cam belt and water pump havent been changed
other than that it was fine, all new tyres in black with full leather interiour,

whats you thoughts guys

I would walk away mate personally. With regards to the mileage you could do an MOT check http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ECHID-Internet-History-Request.jsp

providing you have the cars details, see what comes up there. What's the leather seats like? If the drivers side is really worn and cracked it could be a sign that the mileage is wrong. Mine has just turned 70k and the seats are still in pretty good nic.
The central display, or 'DIS' problem is a common one, and can be fixed iirc.
If the cambely hasnt been changed in over 9 years, Id be worried!

I know its hard mate, but try and be patient, I viewed several 'bangers' before I found mine, and it was well worth the wait!

I know its hard mate, but try and be patient, I viewed several 'bangers' before I found mine, and it was well worth the wait!

ye it is hard mate but i no that i have to wait for the right one to come allong