Help changing wiper blades

swalder

Reaction score
I have had a look through the topic nothing yet has helped. I have tried pulling and pushing with a hectic of a lot of force.

It just feels uncomfortable and that something that shouldn't is going to give way.

I have no clue how to get them off , YouTube has been fruitless too.

Here's a picture if my blade , if I'm missing something obvious please put then dunce cap on me and tell me.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1396295472532.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396295472532.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 228
Am a mechanical numpty Mate.....and if I can do it anyone can.....Firstly....Might want to make sure you protect your windscreen from the wiper arm smacking your windscreen by placing cardboard or a towel on the screen.. A wee squirt of release spray into the gap of the plastic arm bit might help too. It will probably be stuck together with road muck and salt...Just hold the main plastic bit and pull it the opposite way / away from the wiper arm.....Putting the new ones on...depending on type, if it's Valeo / VAG they do have seperate blades for driver and passenger side.

Good Luck
A

No joy another day of struggling !!

Tried the above , no joy they appear wielded on !

I've taken a few more pics

Totally baffled ! Never thought wiper blades would defeat me.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1396886782774.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396886782774.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 139
  • uploadfromtaptalk1396886807614.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396886807614.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 159
Strange, the plastic should just slide open with some light assistance. Have you tried placing a flathead screwdriver between the metal and plastic?

Jaysus, what are they doing to you Mate! There's only the a metal male tongue part holding the blade part onto the arm itself, between the wiper arm and the smaller wedge section. You could try moving that part with something safe, to free it up a bit. Don't end up doing a Basil on your car....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc

Keep the Faith,
A

IMG 20140407 185132

Last edited:
looks like corrosion as i had one side that was a nightmare to remove as the inside was corroded.
I found it easier to kinda squeeze side while using my nail to catch the clip to push off while pulling and squeezing though and keep working the whole side from left to right but i mostly went to the top to edge it off. As mentioned above try using a screwdriver, could use some wd40 if you place a towel on the screen under wiper to catch residue, then clean the crap of before install the new wiper.

Good luck mate, just watch you're windscreen and you're hands if using the screwdriver. Luckily mine came off fine. But putting the new ones on was another story.

I feel your pain, I couldn't believe how difficult it was to get them off, brut force won eventually but I did feel as if something was going to break. Not the best design imho.

Spray some wd40 into gap, it will move eventually, you'll just find it's corroded inside.

Stick a flat screwdriver between the cover and end of wiper, then simply twist... the cover should pop off :)