1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help changing side light bulbs w5w

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by afcjay, Jul 6, 2011.

1. afcjay

afcjay Member

Replaced my headlight bulbs for some whiter looking Philips bulbs which was easy enough to do but now im looking to replace the side light bulbs also (w5w) but cant get my hand into the unit

Can anyone tell me what the best way to go about changing them is and do they just pull out or twist/pull out?
  2. Ads

Ads License to drive

They just pull out.
    Best way to do it is grab the wires and pull out. DO NOT yank the wires, just pull softly until the slack is taken up and then firmly and evenly pull the bulbs out.
  3. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator Regional Rep

what he said , they just pull out matey can be a bit of a pain to get back in but if you look through the front of the light you should be able to see the bulb when you are trying to line it up so it will go back into the hole
  4. afcjay

afcjay Member

thanks people ill get on them tomorrow
  5. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator Regional Rep

once yo have done them once you will do them so easy the next time they dont take long at all to do 5 mins tops
  6. mike foster

mike foster Fossie

When putting them back in switch the lights on and look in from the front. It will help you align the bulbs with the hole.
  7. afcjay

afcjay Member

thanks for the replys/advice
  8. Bailey

Bailey Member

Sorry to revive an old thread but I had a look at changing mine tonight and just wondered which way is easiest to go in? Is it through the main headlight compartment or the dipped headlight compartment?

Cheers
  9. mike foster

mike foster Fossie

Main beam (inner) light. The two compartments are totally separate assuming you have halogen lights.
  10. Bailey

Bailey Member

Ok thanks, I will give this a shot tomorrow night after work when I have got some light. Is it an "ok" job to do? Is there any special trick to doing it. From what I looked at in my car and read earlier it looked a pain in the arse
  11. sliced

sliced Drive safe, stay alive.

You can always use a long this screwdriver flat head, as long as it reaches to where the sidelight is, just pry it out. It pops out very easily that way.
  12. mike foster

mike foster Fossie

Just use your fingers to grasp the wires firmly and pull slowly backwards. Do not 'yank' the cables - firm pulling will pop them out easily.

When replacing I find it easier if you actually turn the light on and look through the front glass to line the bulb holder up with the hole in the reflector.
  13. Bailey

Bailey Member

Thank you for the tips, I will try this perhaps on my lunch break or tonight after work :)
  14. K2000

K2000 Member

You could also try using an old coat hanger (this is what I did although I had to bend the hanger slightly to make things easier).
  15. Bailey

Bailey Member

Just tried doing this on lunch break at work and I couldnt do it. Tried with long nose pliers and still couldnt get the blighter out.

I didnt pull too hard in case of breaking it. I can get at the unit but when I pull slowly it doesnt budge. I also tried with my hands too :(

Bailey
  16. OVRA3

OVRA3 Active Member

Weird they didn't come out that easy as although awkward mine were actually quite loose both getting them out and once I had put them back in.. Fiddly but shouldn't have to use pliers.. Stupid design though in my opinion
  17. quinnii

quinnii Member

To be fair the wires are fairly secure in the holder, I replaced both of mine yesterday. Just give them a twist first then they should come out a bit easier, I had to give it a little tug by the wire as they were stuck solid. Probably not the best practice but it got them out.

Also on a side note when I pushed my light back in it went with some force and bulb actually came out of the holder and ended up on the inside of the light unit! Luckily the bulbs were metal bodied LEDs and I had an extendable magnet handy!
  18. OVRA3

OVRA3 Active Member

You never know when you might need an extendable magnet I always keep one on my person ;-)

Seriously though lucky as I can't imagine getting it out with that would be easy!
  19. mike foster

mike foster Fossie

Be firm with them and gently rock the wires from side to side first. They will come out, you just need confidence !

You should not need to use pliers
  20. Bailey

Bailey Member

In the end my mate (mechanic) managed to do them easily for me, it was a bit fiddley and even he said they are a stupid design

Thanks for all the help guys

Bailey