Help! Car suddenly won't start, fuel issue? Evap?

StevenA4

Reaction score
2003 A4 3.0 Quattro

Any ideas are appreciated. I'll describe the symptoms:

This happened while my dad was using the car. He stopped at a car wash, shut off engine, and when he tried to start it again, it would turn over but not start. He said it was acting like it was out of gas. He had it towed. The next day, I got there and still it wouldn't start, but the fuel gauge indicated a full tank, which he assured me was not the case. We added gas, since we clearly couldn't trust the gauge. Still no dice. Confirmed fuel pump fuse is good. He also described an occasion previously when he experienced a vapor lock when filling up on a hot day (he just waited for it to dissipate, and filled up no problem). Also, when I went to add gas from the can, I noticed the cap hadn't been turned past the couple of clicks like it's supposed to be. I'm thinking along the lines of Evap system, fuel filter, hopefully not a bad pump. Any guidance? Thank you!

I had same problem couldn't here the pump prime .. If you can't here it my guess it's sticking and needs to be swooped over .. Try bang the bottom of your tank to try get it going