Help car locked me out, baby is in the car

antwan64og

Reaction score
As above car auto locked me out and baby is in the car.

Any ideas on best way in the car?
Smash the windows, desparate measures

Help

Here are your options:
1. Get the 2nd key of the car to unlock it.
2. Call fast somebody who make keys for cars and have also service for this kind of situation (I have a guy in my city)
3. Smash the window

try and teach the kid to open the car imo

I'm miles from home,
The first 2 lock smiths I called didnt have the right tools to get in. A friendly traffic warden is sending his mate to me.

My 4 month old is fast asleep in the back.

Hopefully I can get this done quickly and i wont have to tell the missus....

I'd break the window asap as there's no messing when a child is involved

Oh mate, good luck!

Provided you can see you're littl'un and he/she is fine and asleep, I'd try and get it opened by a lock smiths.

Break the window at the first sign of trouble / distress. I'd suggest passengers side door. it's easily replaced and you won't freeze to death driving to the breakers for a new one!

Reactions: Essflee and badger5
If the engine is off and the child is a sleep I would just wait for a locksmith who can do the job.

No need to smash the window at the moment, like Prawn said.
Seems a bit drastic when the baby is blissfully unaware of what's going on and its not like the car is hermetical sealed in 30 degrees heat.

I just panicked when it happened.

I can see the keys on the drivers seat, taunting me.

***, lol

If your'e going to smash a window make it a rear one, you can change them in twenty minutes.

Personally...

I'd be forcing open the rear window and then hooking the keys out and through the window. I can 'break into' my S3 in less than a minute with a screwdriver and a credit card.

The rear window handles really aren't strong, using a credit card to protect the paint work if you put a screwdriver inline with the handles/pullers/popper things you'll be able to get it open in no time.

I'll hold you to that, as I don't believe it!

this might sound daft, but have you tried the AA? I know numerous people that have locked themselves out and the AA have gotten in in minutes

Reactions: superkarl
Locksmith charge £40, used two air bags to pry the drivers door and pressed unlock on the key with a big metal rod.

I don't have AA cover...... I should probably consider it though.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: influxrye, Perplexer, AU11 ALS and 1 other person
What a read!

Good to hear it's sorted and for not a huge amount of money.

How did your car auto lock ?

Mine will only auto lock if I press to unlock the doors but don't actually open the door, after a small time the car will self lock.

How did your car auto lock ?

Mine will only auto lock if I press to unlock the doors but don't actually open the door, after a small time the car will self lock.

I'd guess automatically?

Unlock car, chuck wallet, phone & keys on front drivers seat. Sort the baby out. Get distracted. Car locks with keys inside?

I'd guess automatically?

Unlock car, chuck wallet, phone & keys on front drivers seat. Sort the baby out. Get distracted. Car locks with keys inside?

I thought it cancelled auto lock once the door was opened, if you unlocked car, opened door and chucked keys on seat the car wouldn't self lock.
Might be wrong though !

Reactions: Alex C
It doesn't auto relock if the door is opened.

Reactions: Alex C
Didn't know know that. I'm always paranoid with not leaving my keys in the car if I'm not in it

i had to break into my car with a coat hanger once.
The window wasnt fully clsoed so that when i pulled back the black seal i could see about a 1-2mm gap, i got the hook of a hanger and pulle down on the window, didnt move much, then with a few attempts and different angle of bends, i managed the hook the handle inside and get that first unlock of the door so that i could open it. I did it in about 20 minutes and felt like a professional criminal

Reactions: Spatula
I wasn't sure I wanted to click this thread in case it didn't deliver. I'm glad everything panned out OK!

i had to break into my car with a coat hanger once.
The window wasnt fully clsoed so that when i pulled back the black seal i could see about a 1-2mm gap, i got the hook of a hanger and pulle down on the window, didnt move much, then with a few attempts and different angle of bends, i managed the hook the handle inside and get that first unlock of the door so that i could open it. I did it in about 20 minutes and felt like a professional criminal

You thief you.

This happened two weeks ago with my s3 with my miss's when I was out of the country. She smashed the rear window without telling me even though the spare key is in the coffee table draw :/

Read on here I can be the micros witch in the door going faulty

I have done this on an old mk4 golf 300 miles away from home. Left the keys on the seat, closed the door, went round the back opened the boot, dropped my bag in, closed the boot and clunk. All doors locked !

AA just drove wedges into the top of the door at the A pillar which gave them enough room to get a coat hanger in and press the unlock button on the key fob on the seat.

Door also sprung back and hey presto no damage. No need to smash windows on 8L

I didnt even know it would auto lock, its my own fault really for having the drivers seat so far back.
If it was closer to the wheel and not so gansta lean I could fit the baby seat that side, lol.

Missus is none the wiser....

Reactions: Rainbird