Help! Bumper damaged while abroad, coolant smell?

ryno1

Reaction score
Can't believe this, 2 days left on holiday before the drive back from central Italy to the UK and I just reversed out of a parking space and heard / felt the bumper front bumper being dragged, it'd been overlapping a curb and didn't notice it when parking.

It pulled the bumper forward, cracking the sides that go down the edges of the headlights and popping out in the process. After having the idea of putting some rocks behind the front wheels to lift the front of the car while reversing, I was able to get away from the curb and push the bumper back land it looks mostly alright except where it's split at the joins at the headlights and snapped some fixings. It seems secure.

Now, I don't know if I'm being paranoid and imagining it but I'm sure I can smell coolant in the car. I've hacked the coolant level and it's minimum on level ground. There were dry black liquid marks on the curb, floor next to it - not pink.
Can't see any wet pink fluid.

Is there anything I could check myself? I'm not a mechanic and really don't fancy spending my last day of holiday going around garages not being able to speak Italian..

I drove back to hotel, 10 mins without any probs, I'll check the fluid level again in the morning.

What could have happened that would cause a coolant smell? Bumper was dragged forward from the bottom, didn't rip off completely, still secured at top. No steam or bursting sounds or anything like that

It's a 2006 B7 A4 Cab

Thanks

Ryan

Can't think why you would have ruptured any coolant lines from ripping the bumper off mate, the only water based lines near the bumper are for the headlight washers for the xenons, do you have xenons?

That's a relief, could just be imagining it - I do have xenons but only just got them retrofitted (drop in mini H1 projectors with OEM shrouds) and don't have any headlight washers.

Sounds like it should just be aesthetic then as long as it's secure, fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So won't be the headlight washers then. Just keep a eye in the coolant level, if it is leaking and you've marked where it was on the coolant bottle then least you'll know.