Help :( - Brake Problem?

Daniel97

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Need some help :(

I have DIS and when i start my car i get the usual coolant, brake check etc ..

Anyway as the car is new to me (as our audis) when i start my car it beeps 3 times and the red brake ! flashes at me. Now i assumed this was just because the car is on a hill and i leave it in gear with handbrake up. So when i start it, clutch down and start. I thought it was warning me to use the brake as its in gear.

I then thought actually perhaps it is because the handbrake is on and its telling me i cant pull off with it?

Or is it saying the disks/pads need changing?

Or is it more serious? - some things i can live with but faulty brakes .. my pregnant mrs is banned from the car until its fixed!

Help lol :(

VCDS brought these codes up ..

00526 - Brake Light Switch-F
36-10 - Open Circuit - Intermittent

01370 - Alarm triggered by Interior Monitoring
35-00 - -

00962 - Alarm via. Tilt Sensor
35-00 - -

01371 - Alarm triggered by Door Contact Switch; Driver's Side
35-00 - -

01572 - Alarm triggered by Door Contact Switch; Passenger Side
35-00 - -

00956 - Key 2
35-10 - - - Intermittent

01333 - Door Control Module; Rear Left (J388)
80-10 - Single-Wire Operation - Intermittent

01317 - Control Module in Instrument Cluster (J285)
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

Your pads are probably low and need changing soon

you should not get any beeps on start up as far as i know. id say pads are on there way out but the Brake Light switch is common on these cars and id change that as well mate not sure of cost but they are not alot may well be this

The garage told me at a service about 3 weeks ago that the pads were almost new but discs are becoming worn ...

Might that be it?

i dont think the car knows when discs are low mate i maybe wrong here but i dont think there is any way of them making some thing to tell this plus you can see them and tell the thicknes by eye/ hand any way id say its the brake switch then mate

Is the brake switch and easy/cheap job to change/fix?

Assuming this doesnt fix the problem then ill need new pads will i

as far as i know its is not a lot but iv not had one myself but id say 10 pounds ish and as for changing it dont think that is hard at all. when you scaned it did you clear the codes to see if they come up again ?may just be old codes

Yes clear codes first see if it comes up again

If the pads are good I would check the wiring for the sensors first as it costs nothing

If the brake light switch comes up again in vag com I would change that

the 3 beeps are nothing to do with pads or brake switch
its more than likley your batters is on its way out
or do you have after market hids fitted ?

Okay maybe not - just went to film it and it didn't beep or show me a brake warning?!

maybe it only does it when I'm parked on a hill?

Where is the BF reservoir? I don't have my manual to hand...

Under the scuttle tray to the left of battery

Scuttle needs taking off? Am i gonna need tools for this .. before i wander 5 minutes to my car in the freezing cold ..

no just pull off the rubbers and you can lift it to see under it if you just want to check the bf leval you can just take the cap off there is a bit you push down with your finger witch if you have the right amount in there will touch your fingrtip

ill take the scuttle off .. rather be safe and know its either full or its not ..

either way is it a good idea to replace brake switch?

As mentioned it's your battery. I bet the brake warning (red - low pads is yellow ;) ) only comes on from a cold start? This is because the low cranking power of the battery causes a low voltage at the ABS regulator.

*** ... its not doing it anymore!! :mad: been out in the car today and its been left 4 hours in-between runs to cool down. Its been 1degree here too! Surely this is a cold start and would make it go aswell?

Either way where the cheapest place to get a compatible battery?

Its a temperamental fault which is usually cured by a new battery or if you are mean like me you can try charging it if its a good one and mayhold up.You can get a good one in Halfords cost me £120 last year and no beeps since

**** halfrauds

daniel if youve got 5 mins pop the bonnet and pop some jump leads on it and then re attempt to start your motor, see if the fault still occours if it doesnt then it's defo your battery m8..... Hope this helps

its intermittent though .. doesn't always come on .. if it comes on tomoz am i know its cold hill starts .. as so far thats the only time it does it ..

How do i test with a multimeter?

you certainly can m8 but also most ats kwik fits local car parts suplier does free battery checks anyhows...... you probably find when its cold the battery loses bit of humph and being a diesel requires more cranking power, i seen this fault the day after i brought mine and it was cranking over as low as 9 volts causing my light to come on red.......

not really m8 looks bigger job than it is............. just a long 3/8 extension bar required and you will p155 it in ten mins

I have DIS and i cannot remember if it goes through the cycle when you start the car up, I know if you push the little button on the dash it flashes through all the checks but if the car is not stationary while you are going through these checks it will throw up a warning and stop?!

its intermittent though .. doesn't always come on .. if it comes on tomoz am i know its cold hill starts .. as so far thats the only time it does it ..

How do i test with a multimeter?

It's not intermittent as such, it depends on the ambient temperature and coolant temperature etc, plus of course the amount of charge the battery is holding. Overnight the car will cool a lot more than in 4 hours. A new battery will solve it I promise you.

Best place for batteries is eurocarparts especially with the discount on offer at the mo, i got a Bosch S4 almost 2 yrs ago been perfect ever since

*** - problem went away all yesterday and guess what came back this morning? :mad:

New battery it is then!

Which bosch one should i be getting? S3, S4, or S5?

I know one is meant to last longer etc but does it really work/matter?

they vary between £65 - £100 and im skint!

shame your so far away i have a decent one you could have had

Buy a new battery which will solve it, if not get back to us, but the thread seems to be going round and round.....

Your existing battery is on it's way out, and on cold morning it's cranking power isn't what it should be, which is why the problem has come to light in the recent cold spell. If it warms up then the battery may last a long time yet. But if we get a really cold snap then it might let you down. It's your call really.

Last edited:
Dont get me wrong .. if its the battery ill buy a new one no troubles at all :) - If its needed - its needed

Its just im being told different things from different people.

All in here are saying battery. Elsewhere there saying fluid leak or low fluid. They also said the low fluid is measured by this light not the low pad one?

Not calling anybody a liar just ive heard 2 stories so if i do both fixes i should be doubily coverered lol