Help! Bonnet light ON, front washer dont work, rear brake light gone...

MiT

Work Hard, Play harder!!
Reaction score
Ok, so a few weeks ago some one told me my driver side rear break lights dont work. (maybe a new bulb) but then i have also started noticing a few other things....

Last week when driving home the bonnet light came on, telling me it was open when clearly it was not. I have open and closed it severely times, and checked its don't jammed.

Now after coming back from holiday i find that the front washer jets don't work. The rear ones work.

I also started noticing that when my auto rain sensor wipers are on, when am coming to a stop at lights, and wipers stop in what every position they are in, am sure before they use to return back down to the bottom then stop.

Also now, when i open the car the indicators flash, but when i lock the car the indicators don't flash. But before they did.

So for some reason i am having a a few faults all at once or something really wrong is going on.

Can some one please help and give me much info as possible.

Any body know anyone in central Birmingham who as a VAG kit, who can help?

Its a 54 plate A3 SE i have had it just over a year and its done 55,000 miles.

Thanks.

Please help me :crying:

It sounds like one of the electronic control modules may be on the way out. VAG-COM or a dealers diagnostic system should be able to tell you.

It sounds like one of the electronic control modules may be on the way out. VAG-COM or a dealers diagnostic system should be able to tell you.

Expensive?
Would that make it risky to drive the car then? Incase something more important fails.

Sounds like electronic gremlins to me!

Arrghhh..no more driving after midnight then.

It def sounds like some form of electric fault that will have to get checked out by someone in the know.

Bonnet warning could just be a dirty microswitch. They are usually built into the catch and so get gunked up with spray lube.

the bonnet switch could also be sending the wipers into a "moment" too as if the car thinks the bonnet is open it may (and I am guessing here) stop the wipers from moving in order to avoid damage? I know my mates 3 series cab roof stopped working, which turned out to be a boot switch, the car thought the boot was open and opening the roof would cause damage to it

the workshop manual for A3 says that the wipers will stop working if the bonnet is opened. I'm willing to bet there is either a split wire causing a short in this area, or the switch in the bonnet catch is faulty as mentioned above and is causing stuff to stop working.

bacardi said:
the bonnet switch could also be sending the wipers into a "moment" too as if the car thinks the bonnet is open it may (and I am guessing here) stop the wipers from moving in order to avoid damage? I know my mates 3 series cab roof stopped working, which turned out to be a boot switch, the car thought the boot was open and opening the roof would cause damage to it

the workshop manual for A3 says that the wipers will stop working if the bonnet is opened. I'm willing to bet there is either a split wire causing a short in this area, or the switch in the bonnet catch is faulty as mentioned above and is causing stuff to stop working.

ahhh...thanks guys. I think i read some where that if all the doors are not closed the indicators dont flash when looking the doors(inc bonnet and boot).

Maybe this bonnet switch is causing more problems then i thought.

Will look into this. Will have to be next week now. As i wont have the my car after Friday for a week.

if the indicators aren't flashing, it means the alarm isn't arming though, so better to get it done sooner rather than later ;)

Yup your right in thinking the indicators don't flash on lock if a door/boot/bonnet is open.

Sorted!!

My local dealer had a bonnet switch in stock. Cost around £25.
Has 3 tork bolts, undo, detach the switch, unhook the cable that you pull from under the steering wheel. Then replace. Took about a good half hour, as i couldn't find the right size tork screw head, and the bolts where rusted, then i couldn't get the old switch out.

Anyway, know my wipers work like they did, and my alarm also flashes.

Just got check the rear break light, which am sure is just a bulb.

Thank guys for you help.

Hope this will be helpful for some one else one day.

MiT

Sorted!!

My local dealer had a bonnet switch in stock. Cost around �25.
Has 3 tork bolts, undo, detach the switch, unhook the cable that you pull from under the steering wheel. Then replace. Took about a good half hour, as i couldn't find the right size tork screw head, and the bolts where rusted, then i couldn't get the old switch out.

Anyway, know my wipers work like they did, and my alarm also flashes.

Just got check the rear break light, which am sure is just a bulb.

Thank guys for you help.

Hope this will be helpful for some one else one day.

MiT

A million thanks for this. Same thing just happened to my 2007 A3 3.2Q tonight. Bonnet (hood in Canada!) light starting flashing like it was open, despite the fact it was closed. Wiper blades stopped dead in their tracks 3/4 of the way up and the alarm chirp wasn't happening. Going to head to the dealer tomorrow to grab the switch and get this taken care of. Thanks again.

A million thanks for this. Same thing just happened to my 2007 A3 3.2Q tonight. Bonnet (hood in Canada!) light starting flashing like it was open, despite the fact it was closed. Wiper blades stopped dead in their tracks 3/4 of the way up and the alarm chirp wasn't happening. Going to head to the dealer tomorrow to grab the switch and get this taken care of. Thanks again.

no problem, your welcome.