Help! Armrest Removal, Anybody?

Offtrack4Speed

Reaction score
Hi I am trying to get to the carpets 97 8L but I am stock rying to remove the armrest, anybody knows how to do this? Please advice....:angrymod:

Take out the centre console, should be held in by three bolts on the floor under the console. toward the rear ashtray.

Remove the rear ashtray and undo the hex bolt on the armrest clamp. This will allow you to remove the armrest, then the centre console and then the armrest bracket

Offtrack4speed,

I've got a Pdf file with diagrams showing what to do , PM me your email address.

murph

Thanks! Man I am So Frustated! hehe ok I got the ashtray out, removed a big bolt on the base, also removed this long thin screw that had adjustment for tenssion or something. But nothis is comming out. I can see another bolt way in there that I can't get to (At The base) I also see another unreachable screw facing up that no tools can get to unless the armrest is out. No Idea.. Grrrr

Its probably just wedged in. needs a good wiggle n jiggle. the three footed bracket will only come out with the console out.

That's right, otherwise, once you pull that massive long bolt out that seems to tension it, the top part of the armrest will wriggle off with some work, leaving the "foot" under the console!
But if you want carpets out, the consoles gotta go.!!

Thanks all, this is awesome, I had to stop the project because I was getting to that dangerous point Here I could easly destroy the trims ammong other things... "You know what I am talking about" Wriggled a lot and It moves with the base still.. so not sure.... tommorow with more light I will continue....

murph said:
Any joy yet?
Well! This is what just happened.... I sprayed some Penetrant spray but I guess I wasn't patient enough... and you were right. It was stock. Any way I broke the base. The metal is delicate I guess. Started tapping it and boom But Is out now... heheh who needs an arm rest any ways right? Damn I am Hungry... any ways! Now I am stock on a little red plug that is in the console. Do you know what that is for? No idea of how to remove it. But This time I stopped because I have no problems jancking it out. So tommorow or on my day off I will give it a try. Thanks for your help!

oh well. Dones done now. Shame it broke though. Not to worry they are not too expensive from the stealers. Get it ordered from vagparts now so you have it in time for when you come ot rebuild it.
Where is this red plug your referring too? Is it connected to something? any pictures?