Help... any one :) shakey start... literally

harps hothi

Reaction score
hi all

This is my first post and what a way to start... i have purchased an audi a4 cab 2.5 tdi auto

i have a little or big problem with it depending what it could be

my gear box is at times quite jolty when accelerating and from cold needs a few revs to get moving, it recently had a rubber gasket changed and oil replaced as it had lost alot of gearbox oil, they think it only had a litre left! since the oil change the general drive is slightly better but at times quite jolty... not sure if it could be some sort of automated clutch plate or pressure plate that could need replacing or just damage from being so low on oil???

Also my car has a annoying ticking sound coming from under the bonnet, not sure if its a tappet???

wondering if any of you guys have had similar problems or know what it could be, hope some one could point me in the right direction

many thanks

You might, possibly, have more than a big problem. Assuming your car is front-wheel-drive - i.e. not a quattro - the auto gearbox is the Multitronic continuously variable transmission (CVT). Early versions of this gearbox (up to about 2003/04) did have a weakness that could cause premature failure, particularly in high torque models like the 2.5TDI. To keep the box working well, and to minimise (but not eliminate) the risk of failure, it is absolutely imperative that the gearbox oil is changed every 40,000 miles, without fail.

You haven't said how old your car is or how many miles it has done, but the very fact that it has suffered a major oil leak raises the likelihood that it has suffered damage quite considerably, even if the oil change schedule has been kept up before that. If the box is damaged, you could be facing a bill of £3,000 or so to rebuild it. That's the worst-case scenario, but before you get to that, start checking the car's service history & try to find out if, when and how often the gearbox oil has been changed.

Good luck.

Last edited:
ooouch! sorry its a 2003 model, that dont sound too good at all and thanks for the information