Help - Alarm randomly going off and not stopping

dpeilow

Reaction score
I just had to run home from work for the second time this month due to my S3's alarm going off at home (damn company parking policy!).

Despite canceling the alarm with the unlock button on the key fob, it just starts again a few minutes later.

Last time it was evening, the alarm had been on and off for 5 hours and I just had to disconnect the battery to stop it. In the morning I plugged it in to take it to the dealer, but the alarm had stopped and seemed to be alright. I went back inside and thought nothing more of it.

This time, it went off for about 20 minutes and stopped again. When I got in the car to try and take it to the garage, the battery was flat. In fact, there was barely enough power to run the DIS. I jump-started it and it was fine on the way down to work. It seems to be ok now.

My question is: Is this a duff battery? Would it cause the alarm to go off like this, uncontrollably? Could this behavior be linked to the broken head lamp ballast which I had to get replaced just before the first incident?

The only other thing I was wondering was whether the GPS antenna for my Micro Roadpilot was still active even after I removed that gadget's head unit. Could that run a battery down in a few days?

I don't want to buy a new battery unnecessarily so I'd appreciate confirmation before I fork out the cash.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi,

Had a similar problem on my previous 2.8Q, turned out to be the Ultrasonic sensor on the B pillar, I had them replaced twice as both VAG-COM and the stealer said that they had failed, second set failed within 6 months again, so I just switched them off using the by-pass switch, a bit of a pain every time I got out, but it worked, especially as the stealer said he had no idea why they failed again and no confidence in them not failing again. His only solution was either replace the whole alarm system (megabucks) or to disconnect the alarm horn !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif