1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!! Air Con, Crunching 1st, Wierd noise from front...

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by 18TS, Aug 31, 2007.

1. 18TS

18TS New Member

I have a 1998 1.8T and its got a few "issues" i need to sort out, but not sure how to solve them... have some ideas but still unsure... ok - the list!

1. Sometime when I go to put it in 1st it crunches, like I was being lazy with the clutch, not sure if it's major or not, but it's bloody annoying. Could an oil change help?

2. When I pull away gently in first it judders kinda like the revs are too low, but when I pull away and give it more juice it doesn't happen? Flywheel maybe?:ermm: Or gearbox again?

3. When driving you can hear a noise from the front- sounds like its coming from the wheels. Could it be the wheel bearings? There is a its of play in the steering too, like when going round a corner and you hit a set of bumps in the road, it knocks about a bit- Power steering rack?

4. The climate control... When you turn theA/C on, the revs dip as normal, and i'm pretty sure the A/C fans turn on, but the A/C compressor clutch does not move- so doesn't turn it on, have had the Pressure switch checked and apparently it's ok, the only other thing I can think of it being is the compressor itself, is there anything else to check?

Any help appreciated!
    Cheers:thumbsup:
  2. abdus

abdus Top Gear

same problem for me...been advised (here) that it might be the flywheel

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=43974