Help .. Aftermarket stereo to replace concert

aaa3

Reaction score
Instead of buying the ipod connector for my concert ive decided to use my jvc stereo from my last car.

im not sure if my car has bose (im thinking it would say bose on the door speakers ?)

Is it just a case of buying the wiring adaptor and surround and im good to go. Or is it a little bit more complicated then that.

Ive read that if you dont get the right adapter you wont get any sound from the rear speakers.

looking at these 2 items

px710.jpg

This adaptor will enable you to replace your factory fitted stereo with an aftermarket unit, and connect it to your factory fitted 'Active Speaker System'. Fits the following models:
Audi A3 without BOSE system (Oct 1996 on)

K847.jpg

This adaptor will enable you to replace your factory fitted stereo with an aftermarket unit, and retain the original appearance of your dashboard. Fits the following models:
Audi A3 (2003 (03) onwards)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that in some cases you may need additional modules. One for your steering wheel controls (if you have them) and the other may be needed to run the stock amp in the back. From what I have been told it will not function just as a p'n'p mod.

Found this link usefull a few times and i know they have some stuff on Audio there... hopefully it will help.

http://www.audidiy.com/a3.html

This is another one with usefull stuff but I don't know if he has anything on audio installs...

http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com/search?q=audio

This one is pretty good...

http://tadasauce.wordpress.com/2009/03/23/audi-a3-custom-stealth-audio-system-install/

I would also add :-

1. Audi do a 1 Din faceplate and it matches the dash perfectly.
2. The power to the Audi head Unit is a CANBUS (computer) signal so for correct functioning you will need to find a switched live from the fusebox to run to the JVC or use a CANBUS adapter.
3. You will also require an adapter for the aerial connection to supply the power to the signal amplifier.

You are correct in that the rear speakers are run from an amp (inside the sub unit) on a non-Bose setup and from a 5 channel Amp on the Bose setup.

Paul

Hi aaa3,

Canbus, is the type of wiring that all newer cars have. If you do not use a canbus wiring and just buy a normal £20 ISO adapter everything will work except the car will not be able to control and make use of the headunit. Such as an easy example of this would be:

After market headunit wired up using a standard ISO adaptor, when you turn the car off and remove the keys the headunit will still be playing music, becuase the car does not have an ignition feed going to the headunit, there is only one live. If it was a canbus adaptor the minute the car is turned off the canbus electronic module will communicate with the headunit to tell it to power down as well.

Hope that makes it easier.

Canbus wiring is expensive indeed over the normal iso adapters, but id be rather annoyed if the car was off and the headunit was still on!

hmmm its all getting a bit confusing.

do i need the CAN-Bus adaptor aswell as the Audi wiring adaptor or is it one or the other ??

Does anyone know if i buy this lead

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/audi-wiring-adaptor-speaker-input.html

will it power the back speakers as well ?

Also ive got a 12" sub and amp from my last car to go in ( i was going to tackle doing the head unit first). Will this make any difference on how i should fit/connect things.

Thanks

i have a spare faceplate (geuine audi one) and the wire/loom to get your rear speakers and audi sub working.

You caa buy a canbus adpater but its cheaper to get the wire from a fuse.

Search for aftermarket stereo help started by me - it shows you which fuse.

12" sub and amp will just fit as normal as with any sub/amp fitting.

hth

@kaz219, dont think the OP wants to go down the route? will save a few bob tho. saying that im just going to buy the proper cable!

Boydie, is it the Audi faceplate? also, what have you done with the becker? If you have taken it out, is the cable the audio company used to fit it for sale? Was it the CAN-BUS lead?

Thanks guys

Paul I dont fancy messing round with wires in the fuse box so i think i`ll opt for an adapter.

I found 2 @

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product_list/c_path/48_670_671/spd/audi-can-bus-adaptors.html

CAN-Bus adaptor to fit:
  • Audi A3 2003 > Vehicles with ISO
CAN-Bus adaptor to fit:
  • Audi A3 2003 > 40 pin Fakra
whats the difference and also what does the Canbus actually do ?

Anyone know the answer to this?

Also, is this CAN-BUS lead the only thing I would need? (I have a Becker Nav so need the speed pulse etc.)

Thanks

Matty

Thanks for all the replys so far

If someone can confirm which canbus adapter i need that`ll be great

CAN-Bus adaptor to fit:
  • Audi A3 2003 > Vehicles with ISO
CAN-Bus adaptor to fit:
  • Audi A3 2003 > 40 pin Fakra
or tell me whats the difference between ISO and 40 pin Fakra

nice one

That canbus adapter is listed incorrectly, the ISO lead is for 8L chassis and the Fakra one for the 8P. It should read Audi A3 < 2003 Vehicles with ISO.
the 8L uses a 20 pin mini ISO plug for CANBUS/Cd changer/pre-outs for rear amp or Bose amp, the 8P uses a 40 pin Fakra.

Andy, Will the CANBUS allow for the rear amp and sub to work off an aftermarket HU?

Would love to know the simple soloution also

TIA

Was hoping to attempt this over the weekend so any imput is greatly appreciated

No the CANBUS is purely to tell the HU that the ignition is on/off, provide DIS info and dim the HU when you put the headlights on, you still need the RCA adapter to feed the rear amp

Plus you won't get DIS info regardless of whether you use the emulator or not.

Thanks Andy.

Do you think you could post links (when you get time) to all the things I will need to fit my aftermarket head unit (Becker indianapolis) into the A3 please? will the current amp abd sub still work?

Ta

Last edited:
Thanks Andy

The headunit im going to put in is a jvc KD-LHX 552

it has 2 RCA Pre-outs (5v -Gold) can i plug into this to get the back working ?

Converts the Fakra aerial connection to standard DIN and also provides a 12v feed to the aerial amp through the cable.

do all those adapters apply to me as well ?

for fitting the jvc with the 2 RCA Pre-outs

Last edited:
Boydie, is it the Audi faceplate? also, what have you done with the becker? If you have taken it out, is the cable the audio company used to fit it for sale? Was it the CAN-BUS lead?

AFAIK its an Autoleads facia but looks as factory as the Audi one.

I sold the becker to my mates brother :)

I have some leads left over so will check to see what there is and let you know!

Just to qualify that, Audi switched over to the quadlock connectors from September 2006, so if you have an earlier model then you just need the usual:
Antenna amp
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/iso-...l-adaptor.html
RCA input for rear amp/sub adapter (non-Bose)
http://www.carstereos4u.co.uk/audi--...r-819863--.php
or the 401 for Bose
And a fascia adapter + CANBUS emulator if you want switched live:
NX-CT521-AU05
Anything after Sept 06 then the previous links are accurate, sorry for the confusion.

Have a US model 2007 A3 and have the same question in thread regarding CANBUS and harness adpater. Can anyone confirm they will work on this side of the pond?

Last edited:
(CTSAD002 - Canbus Stalk Adaptor) Is this adapter only required for steering wheel controls?

Thanks

I am so confused, I've tried working this one out but it just isn't making sense what I require.

I drive a A3 8p 2007 (2.0Tfsi) with the concert radio in (single din) and I've bought a Pioneer double dinn. My system is non bose.