1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help after new head gasket, loosing water??

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by evomaster3000, Feb 20, 2009.

1. evomaster3000

evomaster3000 Member

[Feb 20, 2009]
    I've just done a complete head overhaul and got it all back together, fitted new water pump while i was there and i've refilled the coolant, anyway basicially i filled it up slowly to let all the water get through the system after a full clear out.

But the issue now is after getting her running it's lost/water level has dropped about 1L of coolant.

This wasn't a fast drop but the car hasn't been properly on a run as it's off the road till april.

Is it just the coolant re-filling the water jacket/rad/heater matrix? I can't see any external leaks, at worst i've somehow fecked the headgasket and it's burning water? but is this possible?

I'm sure i fitted it all correctly but you never know, can't elliminate anything at this point?

I did save most of the coolant from when i took the car apart, but did loose some, i'd say i saved 5L and so far topped up with 2.5L

The exhaust is a bit smokey but this hasn't been running for 4 months and just had head etc cleaned out and not been run at temp/under load so no time to clear it all out.

Anyway I'm going to give it a proper inspection and keep an eye on the level for now hopefully nothing to serious, at worst another strip and re-fit.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 25, 2014]

3. t2myd

t2myd Member

[Feb 21, 2009]
    audis are problems cars , just put new engine in mine ,got it out af a passat ,puting it in wasnt hard ,getting it to run is a nightmare , had to swap pumps to the audi pump as passat pumps are coded , then whilst putting belt back on found that 2 camm buckets were damaged im sick of it ,thatys what happens when mates borrow cars .my a4 is a real nace car ,its a 99 avant full black s4 interior rs4s and billstien suspension,:keule:
  4. evomaster3000

evomaster3000 Member

[Feb 22, 2009]
    Hmmm tappets broken? mine was on 170k and they were fine, just one or 2 lost fluid and hence tapped alot!

Now i've replaced them all it runs sweet as a nut!

The water issue seems ok now aswell, i read up and the coolant capacity is appor 8 litres so 5 + 1.5 not enough, hence low on fluid.