Help: A3 starting problem

Goththug69

Reaction score
First post and hope you guys can help me with a problem on my A3 Sept/2007 140 TDI DSG 53k miles.

Parked the car today, engine warm, tried to start it and the engine ticked over once or twice and wouldn't start. I tried again and this time the engine wouldn't tick over at all, just the dash lights flickering on and off as I am twisting the key in the ignition. I waited a while and tried again but it was the same, engine not turning over but dash lights flickering as I am twisting ignition. At this time all the electrics on the car were working fine without loss of power. Short while later Greenflag chap arrived, plugged in jump-starter and bang the engine started. He checked the battery for correct volts and it seemed all good. He mentioned the starter motor is probably dead and I guess from searching the forum this is a common problem. I know this topic has been done to death but I didn't want to hijack another thread with all my questions below.

My question, does this actually sound like the starter motor?, if so then how hard is it to change, does anyone have a guide or/with pics? Any specific tools also torque settings for bolts as I heard over tightening could snap bolts in gearbox? If I am changing the SM I'll buy new but any particular part numbers or type to get (euro parts are very close to me and guess ill buy from there if there is any recommendations)? Since the car is 5 years old ill also buy a new battery and thought about the Varta silver 74ah, is this ok?

Sorry for the long post and many questions. Thanks in advance for all replies.

In my opinion your problem is your battery(if you havent changed in last 5 years).In every ocassion first check your battery and after that your starter motor.

When u try to start the car can u hear the starter motor trying to turn?

When u try to start the car can u hear the starter motor trying to turn?

No don't think i can I guess if I could then then the engine would try and turn too but that doesn't happen, I turn the key and all the dash lights flicker on off but dimmed.

Check first that the battery earth is making a proper contact, both at the battery end and at the chassis end. Sometimes a bad earth can cause your symptoms.

Check first that the battery earth is making a proper contact, both at the battery end and at the chassis end. Sometimes a bad earth can cause your symptoms.

Checked both connections, seem solid and clean.

Bought a new battery today, Varta Silver 74ah, getting late so will fit tomorrow morning.

Also tried to start the car again and it seems the starter motor is turning over or trying to (can hear hear the clicking/ticking) but still no go.

If, after fitting the new battery, you still get the clicking of the starter solenoid but it doesn't turn over then it's definitely the motor. The clicking is the solenoid pulling in but if the motor doesn't turn then it's goosed !

Unless of course, the earth that you have checked looks ok but isn't !

Reactions: cubby
If, after fitting the new battery, you still get the clicking of the starter solenoid but it doesn't turn over then it's definitely the motor. The clicking is the solenoid pulling in but if the motor doesn't turn then it's goosed !

Unless of course, the earth that you have checked looks ok but isn't !

ok will update once I've fitted the new battery, fingers crossed. The earth connections look ok, to double check this is the short thick cable running from negative connector on battery to body earthed just near top of shock tower/firewall.

I sound like a right nOOb ;)

Forgot to mention you need to check the earth connection from starter motor to chassis. That has also been known to be a problem.

In my opinion your problem is your battery(if you havent changed in last 5 years).In every ocassion first check your battery and after that your starter motor.

Swapped the batteries over and bang the engine started on first turn of key. Went for a drive to warm up starter motor to see if heat had anything to do with the problem and its all good.

Is it safe to say at this stage the battery was the problem?

ive got a similar problem, i left my ignition on for about 30mins wouldnt start was just hearing it ticking jump started and its fine, also got a battery test at halfords and guy said battery is good

ive got a similar problem, i left my ignition on for about 30mins wouldnt start was just hearing it ticking jump started and its fine, also got a battery test at halfords and guy said battery is good

Greenflag chap checked my battery too when I first broke down and said battery is good. considering I've changed it, then it must be the battery not giving the starter motor enough juice to crank over.

Looks like the battery.