Help! A3 2.0 FSi EGR Valve fitting

AndyBoy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new here so please be gentle ;-)

I am just about to replace the EGR valve on my 2004 A3 2.0 FSi.

It looks straightforward to remove the allen head bolts but there appears to be a large bolt at the bottom of the EGR valve where it is mounted on to the engine block. Is this actually a hex head bolt and if so what size is it? or is it a plastic cap on a large allen head bolt or something similar?

Whats the best way of getting this off, socket or spanner?

Anyone any other tips for EGR valve removal that might be handy?

Most appreciated,

thanks

Andy

I too would like to know this and also what price should I be looking at for the EGR valve please?

Thanks

Hi everyone, I am new here so please be gentle ;-)

I am just about to replace the EGR valve on my 2004 A3 2.0 FSi.
Andy

How much was yours Andy and did you change it due to a VAG COM scanned fault reading like this:

1 Fault Found:
17811 - EGR System: Regulation Divergence
P1403 - 008 - Implausible Signal
Readiness: 0010 0100
The Ross site has a possible solution of:

17811/P1403/005123 - EGR System: Regulation Deviation
Possible Causes

PicExportError
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) faulty
PicExportError
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) faulty
Possible Solutions

PicExportError
Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
PicExportError
Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18)
§ Perform Output Test

So I imagine I will probably need a new EGR valve....I took the top off and its a cog affair which I was suprised by but it all looks clean inside....

I had to it one to my FSI, but the plastic teeth of the cog had sheared. IIRC it was about £156 plus vat? Was a fairly easy change bar an annoying bolt underneath thats awkward to get to.

:thumbsup:Cheers. Part in hand - tea in hand - time to give it a go!

Piece of **** swapping out tbh, time & patients needed as dropping a tool or bolt in the bay could be disastrous

All swapped out yesterday and was fine - apart from coolant leak from pipes :) Light reset - not come back on. MPG up immediately and idle much more smooth. Whole drive of the car has changed. Still seems to smoke a lot compared to my GT TDI. I understand this is common though.

Hi there.. First post, please be nice!

I have got similar probs with my 2004 Audi A3 2.0 FSI. Have got hold of the replacement EGR valve from a website in Germany. Prepared to give it a go.

Just wondering how to go about fixing it in. Are there any tricks as to how to get at the big fat bolt around the back? Do you need to prepare / seal the surfaces at all before attaching or is it just an unscrew and replace job?

How long did it take you to fix? Which tool did you use to access the bolt?

Thanks..

ps. - anyone know where i can get a copy of the servicing manual for this car??

Welcome.

Simply unbolt, check the gaskets ok & reuse as I have on 2 cars or replace, wont cost allot, then bolt back in place, but sure you clean any attaching parts whilst of.

The bolt underneath is sighty fiddly IIRC, but it was few years ago i did mine so i cant remember size of nut - sorry. Mine was straight exchange, gaskets were fine.

TBH Ew its a piece of cake, just time, patients & a beer lol

Have you done it on a petrol FSi Nigel? Its just one nut that you cant see thats a bit awkward but TBH, its a 30 min job.

1 nut & takes 30 minutes, obviously not that awkward Sandra

Nigel, I dont believe i asked how this was done?

Damn this was old, sorry got name wrong girl :)