Help!! 98 A4 2.8 Weird TICK noise from engine after 5 mins drive

tonygump

Reaction score
I am a newbie here~~~:eyebrows: My car is a 1998 (B5) Audi A4 Quattro 30V V6 2.8 MANUAL... The mileage is only 72k. I bought it as a second hand and do not drive it much.

The problem is:
Everything is fine when I start the car. After driving for about 5 minutes, there is little ticking noise (like "Ke le Ke Le") coming from the front of the car.

At first, I thought the noise went away when it is in neutral. So I thought it was the problem in transmission. After I took it to a garage which is specialized in German cars, they said it is from engine and I did hear the ticking noise when it is in neutral. Currently, they recommend me to change the timing belt. But it does not make sense to me why the noise only comes out after the car is warming up...:keule:

Any one has some ideas?? I do appreciate your help!!:hi:

Hey, man

That ticking noise you're hearing is most likely the EVAP Purge Valve that sits right next to the airbox. There's a solenoid inside opening and closing and working.

I have a '98 2.8 Quattro V6 manual as well and I get it too. It's annoying, haha.

I don't know how loud it should be before considering replacement. But don't worry too much just now.

Hey Mark, I do appreciate your reply!!! It's quite useful! :rockwoot:
BTW, do your noise comes out after the car is warming up? I will find garage to look into it~~~ It has no relation with the timing belt?... Thank you so much...

Hey, man

That ticking noise you're hearing is most likely the EVAP Purge Valve that sits right next to the airbox. There's a solenoid inside opening and closing and working.

I have a '98 2.8 Quattro V6 manual as well and I get it too. It's annoying, haha.

I don't know how loud it should be before considering replacement. But don't worry too much just now.

Yeah, I think that noise would be coming from your N80 purge valve. It doesn't make much noise until the engine has been running for a little while. The ticking noise is the valve opening/closing and means that the valve is working normally. It had me worried for a while when I first got my car as well.

No relation to the timing belt at all.

My belts and pump were replaced about 10k miles ago so they don't need done.

Yeah, it doesn't ever seem to when cold, only after engine has warmed up a lil

Mark, it's really a great news for me, cos changing the belt will cost much~~~
I will look into it and have it replaced~~ Thank you!!:blownose:

No relation to the timing belt at all.

My belts and pump were replaced about 10k miles ago so they don't need done.

Yeah, it doesn't ever seem to when cold, only after engine has warmed up a lil

If you want to see for sure if it IS the valve, wait until you can hear the noise, pop the bonnet and put your hand on the solenoid and see if the clicking is in time with the noise you can hear.

The N80 is mounted on top of the airbox, under the plastic cover (the cover just pulls off)

Its item A in this picture:

http://www.tobio.info/passat/images/Howtos/kn_air_filter_003.jpg

Cam belt change is an expensive job... £700-00 in parts alone.. just the solenoid valve replacement is a lot nicer...:)

700 in parts?

Dont think so...

Timing belt kit will be £150 maybe 200 tops.

Might want to change the water pump while your in there, but thats going to be about 40-50quid.

Yes, then there is the £500 for changing it!!! :p
My 1.8QTS has done it for the last 50K - no probs with the MOT, there is a saying .....
if it isnt broken.......
Michael

That must be more than a stealers ? Is this a record ?