1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP-00542 G80 needle lift sensor error code

sebhar70 Jan 11, 2010

1. sebhar70

sebhar70 Member

Visited Audi dealers recently and this code appeared on the diagnostic, engineer states that the lift sensor in the number 3 injector is faulty and will cost £615.49 to replace. I think they will need to replace the whole injector unit. Anyone had this happen before? Is there a cheaper option?

2. staggspeed

staggspeed staggspeed

Had this happen about 5 years ago on a seat alhambra, the hall sensor is part of the injector, so the whole thing had to be replaced,i seem to remember it cost me about £125 back then.

3. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

The wire to the needle sensor in the injector is prone to rubbing through on the cam cover and shorting, I would make sure they check that first off.

4. sebhar70

sebhar70 Member

Was that for the whole injector unit (new) or was you able to recondition?

5. sebhar70

sebhar70 Member

Ok will do

6. staggspeed

staggspeed staggspeed

reconditioned if i remember correctly,but james is spot on,check the wire first.

7. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

I thought I had this issue last year and it was the wire, I can't remember the quoted price of the sensor (maybe £160 ish?), but its only built into an injector from memory, so £615 is ridiculous!

8. staggspeed

staggspeed staggspeed

definitely built into the sensor James,I remember thinking at the time what a dumb idea that was,it would keep going into limp mode,turn it off start it again and it would be ok for a while.

9. sebhar70

sebhar70 Member

Is it easy to check the wire? can I do it myself?

10. staggspeed

staggspeed staggspeed

just check the insulation has not worn through earthing it out.