Hello, Thanks and Nurburgring/build thread

tombrown

Reaction score
Firstly, Hello everybody. I have been a member on here for a few months now, but this is my first post. I have used a fair bit of information from different threads on here and they have been very useful, so thanks to everyone.

I have had my 2003 S3 since February. I bought it from a guy in stonehouse who i think was a member on here. It was totally standard apart from a stage 1 custom code remap, and a forge diverter valve. Heres a pic of how it was when i got it:

402594_10150762127614606_803079605_12279102_774143150_n.jpg

Since this i have done the following mods to it:
Stumpy ariel
Interior white LED's
New steering wheel S3 badge
Remover all under bonnet plastic
KW Varient 2 Coilovers
Adjustable rear Tie arms (from dave)
LCR top mounts
Wheel Spacers (front: 15mm, Rear 20mm)
4 wheel allignment
Jatex cone filter
Custom made heat shield
Porsche boxster 986 front brembo calipers
Braided brake lines
Dot 4 performance brake fluid
Ferodo DS2500 brake pads
N249 bypass
Liquid guage
4 new tyres
Harness eye bolts + harness

If i have forgotten anything i will add later.

Here is a picture of it at this stage:

551262_10151148854374606_556470532_n.jpg

224823_10151148855224606_1043716575_n.jpg

The plan was then to take the car to the nurburgring with some mates for my first track experience and first time driving abroad. The sunday before i went (last sunday) i was in wales and a pot crappy welsh road decided it would crack one of my rstt wheels. With 3 days to go before i left for the ring i had to sort something out very quick. The price for a brand knew one was £415 with trade discount, and i didnt fancy getting it welded before tracking it. So i found somewhere local (coventry) who sold bbs ch replicas (£395). Was quick, cheap and easy so i went for it.

So this is how it looks now:

601607_10151148858399606_449791530_n.jpg

And it was ready for the ring!

521516_10151148860369606_408085099_n.jpg

(before the euro tunnel)

401609_10151143259039606_1076456824_n.jpg

The ring was amazing! I did 8 laps and absolutely loved every single one. With a best lap time of 9.33 which i was very please with as it was my first time on a track let alone first time on the ring!
I wasnt planning on timing my self, but my mate took a suction mount camera and persuaded me to let he put it on after the cones. So i have a video as well which i will post up.
I really want to go back, and the want list has grown even more for the car.

The only real problem i found with the car was the oil temperature. It got up to 138 on my last lap, i then started feeling sorry for my engine, so an oil change is in need this week and an oil cooler is top on the list before the next track day (hopefully soon).

My video of my last lap on the ring:

I have a very large want list and hope to get my car to a good track standard while still having it as a decent daily driver.

I hope you guys like it and any comments, questions, suggestions etc. will be very welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: deeman88
Hi Tom, welcome to ASN. Love the car. Great thread so far. Glad you have found some good information on the site. Lots of knowledge and friendly people on here. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Reactions: deeman88
Thanks guys.
I don't think i need anyone else to spend my money lol, my list is massive already. Next mod is defiantly an oil cooler, then TIP, exhaust, anti-roll bars...
Just had a look at that event, looks really good and i am interested. although the money situation after the ring trip is not good at all, so will have to wait a bit before spending more money!

Fair play on that one,well driven,to get to know a new car and how it handel's ect,then track it,fair play,so are you going to strip or cage it?

Really nice car you have there. Your 'ring trip looks fun too. I have been too but not in my S3, my old 106 GTI.
Probably the best place to go if you like cars and want to give your car a good boost round.
Regarding your next mods, Badger5 TIP will be money well spent.

Just watched that whole video looks awersome well done good driving :)

I'm not sure how far i will go with the car for the track, as at the moment i need it as a daily driver as i cant afford to run and insure two cars. I would love to have a car purely for the track with roll cage and totally stripped etc.

The badger 5 TIP will defiantly be one of the next mods once i have some money back in my account.

I really want to go back to the ring too. I am going to make sure i go again next year.

Anyone have any advice on oil coolers?

I run a 16 row mocal cooler on mine, with an 80 degree thermostatic sandwich plate. thermostat is essential or it'll overcool the oil, 16 row seems to be a good size for these cars. I've been very happy with mine.

mine's mounted in the passengers side wheel arch in place of the standard S3 SMIC, so you'd need an FMIC before going down that route. Well worth it though, as 20vt oil temps can get scary high on track!

B5 TIP is an absolute must on the ko4 engines, it really opens it up no end, and makes it much nicer to drive

Ok, i have been thinking about the FMIC and is also on my list. But i wanted to get the oil cooler first and get that fitted, as after the ring that seems to be the most important mod needed. (i dont fancy getting up to 140 degrees again). Being pretty skint at the moment, i will struggle to get the FMIC as well as the oil cooler and TIP and maybe a few other little bits in the near future.

Is there no where i can mount the oil cooler with the standard intercoolers in place? I will get out over the weekend and have a good look. It would only be a fairly temporary position until i get the money for the FMIC.

The problem is, a temporary oil cooler location would mean the need for new hoses again when you change to an FMIC. So further expense down the line.

An ideal place to mount the oil cooler whilst you have stock SMIC's would be under the crash bar in direct airflow, where you'd mount the FMIC.

I'd go as far as to say, that if you're into trackdays and the like, an FMIC will probably be of greater benefit to you than a B5 TIP. a ko4 even at stage 1 pumps out SO much hot air it's unreal, and once inlet temps start to rise, the ECU pulls out timing and power drops off, the car will feel flat. My old daily on a stock intercooler used to heatsoak like hell on the Ring. It was pretty much done by Aremburg, but the LONG drag up to the Karusell really left it feeling like it was broken.

An oil cooler and an FMIC together would be a great start on a car that's used frequently on track. the FMIC will cost you about the same as a B5 V2 TIP as well

nice car, and great post.

seems to me you wont have a track day planned for a while. so id advise getting FMIC and oil cooler done at the same time, doesnt have to be right away in your case.
having fitted my FMIC last week (for around £200 believe it or not) its looking possible to fit an oil cooler above it, perhaps not a 16 row, but a 13 would probably fit nicely above the FMIC.
get both, get them both done in time. i buy little bits here and there and eventually get big jobs done, doesnt have to kill the bank balance.

Hi Tom
Best first post I've seen on here

That's a very good shout actually prawn. I guess i just got a bit carried away with everyone with a 1.8t saying the TIP is a must have. I know it will have a great improvement, but i guess the FMIC will prob be a fairly bigger improvement.

Im hoping to get alot of overtime in this month, pay my insurance off at the end off the month, and then hopefully have enough money left over to buy a few bits. Then once i have the oil cooler fitted (and FMIC), i can get some track days in :).

What intercooler have you got then Karl? iv read a thread about them, and it seems like the AH would be a good one to go for?

Im glad everyone likes my post by the way! thanks!

For general day to day driving, and normal road use, you'll see the biggest gains from a badger5 TIP for sure.

But for a car that's used on track, you'll gain far more from an FMIC, so I'd say you're particular requirements are in the minority.

Karl, like the rest of us, has a Wellycooler. You could go for the AH V2 cooler, it's very good indeed, but to be honest, it's a lot more expensive than the Wellycooler, and to date, the Wellycooler is proving to be utterly fantastic in every possible way, and all for around £200 on an S3! it's ultra cheap, but it really, REALLY works.