Hello! Ive ordered! I have questions..

Dan76

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've been a bit of a stalker of this part of the forum for some time just trying to decide what 8V I wanted. I have to say you've kept me quite entertained over the last few months and now that I've ordered I thought I'd say hi

Went to Crawley (Inchcape) Audi today and managed to grab £1770 Dealer contribution on a 1.8 TFSI S Line Daytona grey SB with:

4 Year Warranty
Comfort Pack
Bang Olufsen
Interior Light Pack
Tech Pack
Privacy Glass

Salesman guessed the delivery date around 31/12/13 (oof!)

So.. I've a few questions. Any advice is good advice tbh as this is the first new car I've bought.

1. Does anyone rate the dealer aftersales packs ie. Retail Price Protection, VPP (Superguard or whatever), Wheel protection or Minor repair protection. I was thinking on passing on these.

2. Ive got a B7 A4 at the mo and wondering if the spacers I have on this will fit the new 8V?

3. I understand I will have 2 SD Card slots. Will the tech pack read movies from the SD Card and play them on screen?

Thanks in advance and hope to be a regular on this forum :salute:

Ah! Before I forget.. I love me Audi's! Previous owner of Mk1 TT, A3 8P 3dr 2.0T S Line, now with 2.0 B7 Saloon S Line.

(Mods - if this post is a bit hefty I can delete the questions and just keep the hello for now. Just very keen lol!)

Last edited:
What made you go back to the A3 from the A4 then?

A baby lol!
After about 3 months with the 2.0t 8V A3 (which is still my fave Audi) my wife said we're having a baby. I had a bit of a moment, dashed to the local dealer and decided a three door wouldn't cut it, traded in for an A4 saloon. To be honest I'm glad I went for more doors but should have gone for a SB. I've just never really needed the room of an A4. Don't get me wrong, the A4 B7 is a brilliant vehicle but I'm a little bored of the 140 2.0tdi..
So back to the A3 180 and content again! Until I decide what I'll be modding :ninja:

I'll post my reply in a few separate comments.

First of all Retail Price Protection.

This is a form of GAP insurance. There was a bit of a heated debate over this recently which I don't want to reignite. However I'll try to summarise. Many people choose to take GAP insurance. Like all insurance it is great if you end up claiming but a waste if you don't. Most forum members think you can get an equivalent product much cheaper online than from a dealership. However at least one member thought the quality of service with the dealership offering would be worth the extra cost.

Next paint protection.

I was offered Autoglym Lifeshine at £199. I did a lot of research and the conclusion was that it is a good product but the preparation and application must be done correctly and this rarely happens with dealership hired valets because they don't have the time.

I decided to go for a similar but in my opinion better product - gtechniq total surface protection. Like Lifeshine this includes upholstery and glass, but also wheel coatings. I'm getting a detailer to apply it as part of a new car detail that he'll spend about 6 hours on for £295.

Wheel protection.

Depends what deal they offer you. The one they offered me was several hundred pounds. That'd pay for a few repairs so didn't seem worth it to me. Ask yourself how many times your likely to claim and what the value of those claims is likely to be.

I don't think the tech pack will play movies from SD card, just DVDs. You can also use it as a screen for iPods with video playback capability. In happy to be corrected though.

A baby was my justification for a new car too. Although I'm not sure it justified the upgrade from a £13000 Suzuki to a £30000 Audi :)

I got mine from Crawley too. Only thing I did go for was their own GAP, it had far more comprehensive cover, and covered me from the moment I left the dealer. I'd heard horror stories about the companies offering the cheaper policies finding reasons not to pay...

Manual says Tech pack will only play video from DVD's, but seems some people may have found a way around that.

By the way - don't want to hijack the post but did anyone go for the servicing package up to 30,000 miles for £399? Seemed like a no-brainer to me as the services will easily cost more than that.

By the way - don't want to hijack the post but did anyone go for the servicing package up to 30,000 miles for £399? Seemed like a no-brainer to me as the services will easily cost more than that.
I collect my car in sept, and am hoping to buy the servicing pack when I next see the dealer. Havnt found much discussion on this topic.

I thought I read in the July 2013 A3/S3 spec guide that servicing package was not available for Sportbacks only 3 door. I could be wrong?

RossR thanks for the detailed reply. Think I'll shop about then.

mjcourtney & jet_andy, brilliant news and thanks for the link.

I swear this site has more knowledge than the dealers selling these machines. My salesman had to keep looking at the brochure for answers!

Don't see why that would be - I have it on SB anyway.

Not sure why it says only 3 door then. You can see in the snippet of the PDF below.

Service

I swear this site has more knowledge than the dealers selling these machines. My salesman had to keep looking at the brochure for answers!

i would back that up, combined knowledge of people on this site would run rings round most salesman. I would suggest some could do with reading this site now and again. People are really helpful

i have got the service plan throne in from dealer,also had it on previous car which worked out really well,so would always go for this.

I guess that depends on your mileage. On variable servicing, you'll have one service at approximately 19k if you do higher mileages - that won't cost you £399. The next one will come along at 38k.

I guess that depends on your mileage. On variable servicing, you'll have one service at approximately 19k if you do higher mileages - that won't cost you £399. The next one will come along at 38k.

I think one service alone will make it worthwhile. I did 45000 miles in my previous car, had two services, one at 20000 and one at 40000. But they cost £400 odd each.

Is there a set price for the 19k service - anyone know?

Plus there may be an oil change in-between.

I think one service alone will make it worthwhile. I did 45000 miles in my previous car, had two services, one at 20000 and one at 40000. But they cost £400 odd each.

Is there a set price for the 19k service - anyone know?

Plus there may be an oil change in-between.

I had the same on my last A4 - similar engine. As long as you do the mileage, oil and inspection come in at the same time - 19k. That's the benefit of the variable service regime. If I remember correctly, the oil & inspection service on the A4 was less than £300.

I believe the service pack depends on you being on the time/distance service regime which is an oil service every 12 months or 9k and then inspection service at 19k or 24 months. It's a PITA having to visit the workshop every few months! The service pack is a good deal for low mileage owners, but higher mileage drivers need to do the sums and weigh up the advantages/disadvantages.

I know I should probably know this... :unsure: but does it let you know when it needs a service!?

If you think about it, your £399 will take you up to 40k.

For a higher mileage driver, one variable service will get them to 38k. They'll need to factor in a brake fluid change, but depending on where they're located in the country it may still work out cheaper to pay as you go.

If Audi priced it at £250 like VW, then it would be a no-brainer.