1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello & Help! (bought a 2.0T Quattro which i think could have a few 'issues')

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by Chr1sch, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Chr1sch

Chr1sch Member

[Nov 1, 2012]
    Hi all,

Firstly, thought i'd better introduce myself, my name is Chris and I live in the Midlands - proud new-dad hence the Avant....

So, bought my Feb 07 2.0T (Q) a little under a week ago and it seems ok but a little unloved. As we are trying to move house as well as babies, I have bought a higher mileage car and already i am worried I am going to pay the price... (It has done 83k miles)

So please can you give me some advice on the following issues, i really hope I havent bought a lemon :(

1) Oil weeping from the rocker/cam cover gasket, just below the coils, and working its way down the heat shield towards the turbo. (fairly minimal weep but it looks **** and want to replace). Now i've read about PCV's and pressure in the head and dont know whats normal, however I remove the oil cap when running it immediately runs like a camel?

2) Weird clunk in the transmission - If I am giving it some beans and attempt a fast shift, there is a definite delay between the clutch being released and an almost delayed clutch bite/clunk in the transmission. (It is further exaggerated if you accelerate hard and lift (you feel a delayed clunk say 1/2 a second after lifting off)

3) Gearbox - When cold the gearbox is very very notchy - annoyingly wasnt when i test drove it, however after a few days I am sure the gear change is way notchier than it should be.

4) Noisy Diverter Valve - When revving on the spot you can clearly hear the chatter/release of the valve, i thought this sounds cool but not very standard 'audi'?

5) Heavy steering away from centre - feels nice and weighty but a little inconsistent. (coming from BM's is this normal?)

6) Cambelt change - book says 115k, mate at Audi says 75k - what do people think?

I have already spent ages cleaning the interior, particularly the alcantara etc and will post pics soon, however any advice on the issues above or known issues i should be aware of would be massively appreciated (as I am terrified its going to die...)

Cheers

Chris
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member

[Nov 1, 2012]
  4. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member

[Nov 1, 2012]
    Actually I'm lying, I do know about one of the others. My gearbox is notchy when cold too.
  5. chrisa4quat

chrisa4quat Member

[Nov 1, 2012]
    My gearbox is notchy. "Positive gear selection" Audi told me.
    Poss needs a new dump valve. A revision d valve is a must.
    Cambelt is 75k or 5 years. Has been revised by Audi. (Same as the 1.8t was).
    Can't really help with others.
    Where abouts in the midlands are you?
  6. S-Liner

S-Liner New Member

[Nov 1, 2012]
    My A4 2.0 TFSI has a notchy 1st and 2nd when cold, apparently it is one of the traits if the 6 speed box and wont get any better or worse.

As for the DV, it may have an aftermarket one fitted, theres a spacer made by Forge that gives a sound similar to what you describe, youtube "Forge spacer on VW or Audi TFSI" and you can see if its the same.

In my experience any oil leak is bad and will need sorting.

Mines got 116000 miles now and ive only ever put tyres and brakes on it, although that said, its just developed a terrible knockig under the front on the way home today which sounds like a driveshaft!
  7. Chr1sch

Chr1sch Member

[Nov 1, 2012]
    Fantastic Thanks gents, gearbox is a huge relief, any ideas on the clunk?!

I'll get the belts done pronto, :)
  8. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 1, 2012]
    As for the steering, is it possible your car has the Servotronic speed sensitive power steering? If so, and it's the first time you've experienced it, it does take some getting used to. In the meantime, do the obvious checks of the power steering fluid (level and condition) and the drive belt tightness.
  9. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Nov 1, 2012]
    new dv or remove the spacer if 1 is fitted
    rocker easy to fit a new 1
    belts 5 year 75K dont forget the water pump
    and all the rest is normal audi
    and 83 aint high miles at all.
  10. GarJE

GarJE Member

[Nov 1, 2012]
    Your leaking rocker gasket is likely caused by a faulty PCV valve. I've been told fully synth gear oil can cure the notchy 1st-2nd. I wouldvrecommend a scan with VCDS.
  11. g00se

g00se Active Member

[Nov 2, 2012]
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  12. Roadrunner146

Roadrunner146 Member

[Nov 2, 2012]
    I have the same car with same mileage, with no problems as yet. It's like new really.

If you think the car is unloved, I would check the oil type as if it's been running on standard oil it will sludge the engine up. I had this on a Passat 1.8t. Took a lot of work and patience to clear it out.
    Empty oil out , pour some clean diesel through engine with sump plug off , and repeat a few more times. Then fit new filter and stick in fully synthetic to be sure.

Brad.
  13. Chr1sch

Chr1sch Member

[Nov 2, 2012]
    Thanks gents, this is all invaluable - i'll be getting the pcv changed with the cambelt as it seems to be a pretty reasonable price. I truthfully didnt want to be spending on a car so soon after buying it, but 1 owner FSH convinced me otherwise - hope it was the right move...

Grip seems to be amazing, had great fun hounding an Impreza down some nice B roads a few days back :)
  14. Chr1sch

Chr1sch Member

[Nov 2, 2012]
    Chaps, doing some digging around getting bluetooth fitted to my head unit - i have the 2007 Audi NavigationPlus unit which has CD/TV as the option (i believe this means its a generation 1?) is that an RNSE or RNSD?!

What do people think of the Denison unit?

Cheers

Chris
  15. PetrolDave

PetrolDave Well-Known Member

[Nov 2, 2012]
    The RNS-E was the only sat nav fitted to the B7. Early B6's had the RNS-D (my 2003 B6 S4 had one), but even later B6s had the RNS-E.

Personally I'd go for the OE Bluetooth module, it just works with no hassles.
  16. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Nov 3, 2012]
    I second what Dave says, OEM BT kit is best for your setup imho, give me a shout if like as I supply/fit these for members :)
    Chr1sch likes this.
  17. GarJE

GarJE Member

[Nov 3, 2012]
    Good to see your priorities are in the right order. Lol.
  18. Chr1sch

Chr1sch Member

[Nov 3, 2012]
    Awesome how much supplied and fitted? (serious shoe string budget...)
  19. OxfordRich

OxfordRich Collecting Rings

[Nov 4, 2012]
    Do you find your 'notchy' gear selection while cold is only when the engine is running?

i.e. if you sit on the drive with the engine off and go 1st > 2nd > 3rd is it smooth - and it's only when the engine is running that it's stiff?

If so, I've been told this is a flywheel issue, with the clutch dragging very slightly even when clutch pedal fully pressed. I thought there was a workshop TSB on it but can't find it right now. I intend do do cluch/flywheel some time next year anyway.
    Chr1sch likes this.
  20. Chr1sch

Chr1sch Member

[Nov 4, 2012]
    I'll check when I'm stationary tomorrow but the scenario you describe sounds spot on. It's fine when really warm and similarly ok if you don't rush the shift (equally biting point etc is fine...)If you find anything else out do let me know, in the meantime it seems ok and will plan to do a clutch/fly next year too
  21. Chr1sch

Chr1sch Member

[Nov 6, 2012]
    So it seems to be getting better on the 'notchiness' but i suspect your flywheel suspicions could be correct - we'll see how it behaves itself over the coming months.

It is going in for a new Cambelt, Waterpump, Aux belt, PCV, rocker gasket, filter, oil, plugs and pollen filter on Monday :)

Here are some pics with post-polish - really really enjoying it now ive replaced the scruffy trim and cleaned up the alcantara!

[​IMG]

Something quite RS4 about this pic:

[​IMG]

Cheers

Chris
  22. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 6, 2012]
    Looks good. How're you getting on with the steering?
  23. Chr1sch

Chr1sch Member

[Nov 6, 2012]
    Still feels pretty heavy but i'm coming from a 5 series with hugely assisted steering to combat 235/19 front tyres - it feels constant and smooth so i dont suspect any mechanical faults. A mate of mine works for Audi (is doing the service at his own garage next week) so i'll ask him to give it the once over and confirm if it does have servotronic steering (which he suspects not)
  24. Chr1sch

Chr1sch Member

[Nov 6, 2012]
    P.S bar my drilled front discs, are there any other ways to distinguish the 220bhp model over 200?