Hello, First post, Towbar Question

Graham22

Reaction score
Hello, I've been a long time lurker & have found lots of useful information here.

I bought a 2005 A3 2.0t S-Line Quattro 3dr last year with decent spec (Bose, Full Leather, Interior Lighting etc) and am very happy with it.
r9vLiE2b.jpg

Apart from the Revo Stage one I've had done, I'm just happy to keep it as it is.

Unfortunately, the only mod I need to make is to fit a towbar. I will be fitting a Dave Cooper bike rack and will be using the car to carry my Beta Trials bike.

I will need a flange towbar but will want to remove it when not in use as the hardware for the bike carrier is bulky/ugly. I had a Witter removable one lined up, which meant replacing the lower valance. I was happy to do this as it can't be seen when not in use but have found out it can't be fitted to a Quattro - the price was getting on for what an old van would cost but running & parking one would be an issue, the latter also being a reason for not using a trailer.

Having used the search facility I can see several replies from Quattro owners that they have fitted but no one seems to say what make & whether they are removable etc.

So can anyone help, I'm after a removable flange towbar to fit a 3 door A3 Quattro. Can any one let me know what they have or have seen and how discreet they are. Pics would be nice.

Thanks and sorry for a boring first post.

Bumping this one as thread disappeared onto page 3 quite quickly.

Sorry for bumping a boring question but can any A3 Quattro owners help with a towbar make please.

Thanks.

I will check what I can, as I've fitted towbar to my car, but fwd, I have made enquiry for you, it does seem possible, is it something you definitely want doing?

Hi,

We do quite a lot of these for Audi. The removable towbars are made by a company called Westfalia which is the original equipment Audi use. You can go for a removable one where the electrics slide up and disappear when not in use or go for a fixed one.

Got one on my work A6 and fitting one to my A3.

I will double check if it's all good for the Quattro.

Some Audi's in the S and RS range aren't allowed them and as such you can't spec it from factory as they are too powerful to tow. They then have to be signed off as "off road" use only.

Ta

Yeah Westfalia is what I have with oem controller, tbh good units imho.

Thanks for your replies, any pointers will be appreciated.

Did look at the Westfalia catalogue but from what I can see, only a swan neck is available - if this is my only option I will look into the option of a collapsible trailer.

I looked at a friends 2WD Sportsback last night & was surprised at how much lower his boot floor was, presume the chassis rails/towbar mounting points are higher on mine too.

Will have a look and see what's available for your car. If you PM your reg number I can do a search for you and see what can be fitted to your car.

Thanks for the replies on this.

Having considered the situation and I am doing more Trials than originally thought, I don't want to go driving such a clean car across fields and getting it muddy inside & out.

After much thought I have decided to sell the car and get something older and a little more suitable, an Impreza WRX Wagon fits the bill, has enough nose weight to carry the bike & a little more ground clearance.

Ultimately we will replace the other halfs car at the end of the year so will probably get another S-Line but as a Sportback TDI.

Change of plan again, not going to take a £3k hit on selling car & I like it too much so it's staying.

Hunt is back on for a towbar. Cruiser89, were you able to find anything based on my reg info previously sent.

Does anyone else here have a 3dr Quattro with a towbar fitted please who can give me make pointers.

Thanks.

I looked into fitting one onto mine although the reason I wanted one is no longer there and so probably won't bother. The westfalia ones are the ones to have as it's what Audi fit as OEM and from what I have seen of them on the A3 and other cars, they are a neat bit of kit but you get what you pay for.

This should fit.....

Audi A3 3 Door Hatchback 06/2003 On Bosal Detachable Towbar

If got a westifalia (below) detachable on my sportback brought from these.

Audi A3 Hatchback 2003 on Westfalia Detachable Tow Bar

with the lower spolier with the removable flap.

Thanks for the reply but both of the above are Swan neck bars. Unfortunately I require a flange tow bar so I can fit a trials bike rack as below:

images

If I was just towing a trailer then a detachable swan neck would be ideal.

Any other ideas please?

Also thanks to Jock25 for his pm.

Finally sorted. Towtrust list a bar for the A3 which does not exclude Quattro. My local tobar fitter could not supply this bar but was happy to fit, small cut required to lower valance but this could be filled/sprayed if towbar ever removed or even a whole valance replaced - there must be loads on here what with the S-Line bumper conversions:
Bar in place:
dVcLz1eV.jpg

Bar removed:
ZUq9jnh6.jpg

Reason for having towbar:
j2mRhTLQ.jpg
|

Anyone know where to get a 12v feed from the rear? Or is it a case that you HAVE to run a cable to the fuse box?

I did notice in the fuse box I have 3 fuses dedicated to trailer wiring, does that mean theres power already going to the rear that can be used?

Thanks

You need to wire it in to a proper feed, not any 12v of the rear, as the trailer connection wiring requires a fair load for the lights etc feed & you could end up blowing fuses & frying wires if the fuses arent the correct ones.

OK thanks. I have been researching and some on here have piggy backed off the boot light etc which I guess is a bad way to go. I will look to feed it to the fuse box and use the required 15amp fuse.

I did notice there is actually a live feed in the fuse box meant for the rear 12v socket which required 20amp so I can put a connector in there, in line fuse and then run the cable to the back? Would that be a better plan?

TBH mate run its own as per the factory wiring, save yourself any hassles later & safety always 1st.

I supply/fit these systems amongst others if you need that service.