Hella supertone and Daytime running lights

J Eyo

Polo GTI (6) R
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Not the biggest auto electrician around, have dropped the fogs in exchange for this: View attachment 37682View attachment 37683 I want to put in some day time running lights behind the grill, above the pipes, and since relocating my horns, they sound sad and tired :( going the red hella super tone in the front grill look (....shhh)

So questions, is it possible to hook the super tones straight into the plugs of my OEM horns? And like wise with the DRL's, is it possible to hook the new lights straight into the old fog light plugs? Definitely want to be able to turn them on just like i did my fog lights.

Probably...

...although using the fog feed doesn't really make them DRL's any more :)

<tuffty/>

haha tuffty ever the literal man (and you're completely right :p) I really don't want to bother about actually wiring anything, just a nice set of led lights that plug straight in would be ideal. Actually, just the man to ask, all my silfab hoses are holding strong, but my TIP tried to blow itself loose! new clamp has sorted it, but what causes this? very unexpected. The new intercooler feels like its made a difference (possibly all in my head) feels like its holding boost better? But the tip, it tried to blow itself off the MAF.

If the TIP is 'blowing' itself loose you have bigger issues... the only point pressure can get into the TIP is through the DV,,, this is unlikely to be the cuase (even if it is leaking boost past the DV) as it will just blow out the path of least resistance in this case the air filter)

its more likely its being pulled off the MAF from the movement of the engine...

<tuffty/>

Thanks for that chances my engine mounts are literally just useless pieces of metal by this stage? (200k on the clock)

I've installed both DRL and hella Supertones in my progress thread. If your looking for a reference.

OTgxd4Y.jpg

You could wire the horns straight into your old ones, but its not recommended.
The Supertones could fry the old horns wiring as I believe it draws more amps.
It comes with a relay and basic wire diagram. It's easy enough. May as well do it rather than risk it.

Last edited:
As tuffty said. Wiring the DRLs into the fog doesn't really make them drl's as you need switch them on.
Running a wire to an ignition live is a simple job again. I used the one under the drivers side bottom dash. It just a matter of putting the time in to run the wire back to the grill.