1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heelo All & S3 Wheel Question

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by JimmyJames, Nov 12, 2007.

1. JimmyJames

JimmyJames Jas.

[Nov 12, 2007]
    Hi to all. Had a wee problem getting past the electronic door with aol. but here now.

Right down to business. 10 days to go to my new S3 lives in my garage and out goes my 2.0T QuattroS-Line Sportback. Shame but you must move on.

3 questions.Soorry

Has anyone who bought an S3 successfully managed to get the 18" RS4 style wheels onto their car supplied by Audi UK garages? My thoughts on this is why can you in the German Audi site configurator go for the wheel upgrade in either silver or titanium but on the Uk Audi site you cannot select this Audi provided 18" RS4 style wheel or for that matter get an Audi garage to acknowledge that this wheel is out there (and not aftermarket).

I'm not a big fan of the "S" wheel that the car has on it and I'm still waiting for an answer from the salesman/garage to see if my spanking new car can have them on when i pick it up. Of course I've not been hit with a cost yet and Shelling out on an S3 ain't cheap so my next question is

If i successfully get these wheels what value would you place on unused "S" wheels and is there a market for them? Could help me in the sting of changing.

Lastly is there a technical reason perhaps between German S3's /UK S3's why this wheel dosn't seem available? Brake calipers/Offset etc?

Any info gratefully recieved.

:think: Jas.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

[Nov 12, 2007]
    This wheel should be a £600 option when speccing an S3, just speak to one of the brighter looking salesman. However as your car is probably having it's last coat of paint, then not sure.

There should be no difference with fitment etc.
  4. IH786

IH786 Member

[Nov 12, 2007]
    I tried to get 18" RS4's on my S3 when i rodered it in July. My dealer was under the impression it was not possible, and after a few calls to Audi CS, i was finally told i couldn't get them :no:

I think at the same time i ordered my S3, another member here on as.net managed to get the alloys on his S3 for £600, but apparently was told he would be the last of the UK customers that would be able to spec them, can't remember his name, sorry.

I think since you have already ordered, you proably won't be able to have them :noway:
  5. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Nov 13, 2007]
    I think they dont look right on the S3, every other Audi is getting them on at the min and this would put me off from the outset. The 18in RS4's actually look quite small compared to the S wheels, not sure if its the design of them or what.....now its a different matter about the OEM 19in RS4 alloys from the actual car itself but unfortunately these wont fit on the S3 due to the offset issues.

The "S" wheels are only on the S models hence the exclusitivity of them and to my knowledge no-one does reps of these so they wont be turning up on every Audi and VW.
  6. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

[Nov 13, 2007]
    Seems to be an Audi UK thing - here in Ireland you can order them on the S3 as well as any other car.

They are 1873 euro on the standard car or 702 euro on the s-line or s3.
  7. Nelson_R32

Nelson_R32 Member

[Nov 13, 2007]
    You can order the wheels and fit them after the car has been built. However it'll cost you about £1100 by the time you've had them fitted to the car.
  8. jamiekip

jamiekip Guest

[Nov 13, 2007]
    Does anyone know if the 19" 7 spoke TT wheel is the excat same as an RS4 wheel - ie, offset, stud pattern etc?
    Or, are they different and would they fit straight on an S3???
  9. Kris

Kris Member

[Nov 13, 2007]
    I tried for RS4 type wheels when i ordered my S3 but was told they were not an option although they are on other A3's. Kinda glad i got the OE ones, exclusive and i now like them. No idea what sort of money OE S3 wheels would go for but i'd imagine they'd fetch a good price as there are little to none of them on the used market.
  10. JimmyJames

JimmyJames Jas.

[Nov 13, 2007]
    :yes: Thanks for replies chaps. Got onto ACS today and although they weren't much better (Does anybody who works for Audi know better than owners!) they provided erwin.audi.de to look for fitment and availability. Trouble is site dosn't seem to be working right now.

I can see as posted that you can in the Irish as well as the German configurator put the 18" RS4 style wheel on at build. That puzzles why Audi UK don't. Anyway I call salesman in the morning with my barrage of info.

Still not sure on "S" wheel. Yes exclusive but i feel the twin spoke is too wide and less profiled. I think Audi 5 stud wheels look better than centre boss wheels as well.

I might be throwing money away but are all you S3 owners happy with your "S" Wheel. Am i just being daft?

Jas:think:
  11. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Nov 13, 2007]
    I'm happy with them for the reasons above, I think they look smart!

Every RS4 wheel Audi produce APART from the ones that come on a RS4 standard (19in) are quite flat in appearance compared to the "original" RS4 wheels which are very dished ie the spokes really bend back towards the centre of the hubs.

This is exactly when Audi supplied the old RS4 wheels (18in) on the old TT and 8L S3, the ones supplied with these cars were very dished and any others bought from Audi were quite flat in comparison.

They seem to keep the good looking ones for cars that come with them as standard and anyone wanting to buy them aftermarket they are nowhere near as good looking.
  12. Teejay

Teejay Mellow Yellow

[Nov 14, 2007]
    Reason why nobody fits S3 alloys aftermarket is cos they are damned ugly!!!!
  13. prt57

prt57 Member

[Nov 14, 2007]
    Well, I am more than happy with my standard S3 wheels. It's the only model with these wheels. I even saw some RS4 reps on a Mk IV golf a couple of weeks ago.
    Save some cash and get on with the driving!!

prt
  14. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

[Nov 15, 2007]
    try https://erwin.audi.com/
  15. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Nov 15, 2007]
    I got my dealer to badger Audi Customer Services about this exact issue. I originally had a German Catalogue which a mate had picked up for me and the RS4 style wheels were obviously in the catalogue. It beggered belief that if the car is being built in Germany on a German production line where those wheels are going to be lying about then they should be available to us.

Audi CS spun me some yarn that they had decided not to sell them in the UK as too many other standard models were being supplied with these wheels as an option, so had elected not to offer them.

I tried to offer up a set of 19's off an RS4 and the offset was so far out that no amount of trickery would have made them work. The deep dish on the 19"s makes them far more attractive than the flat faced 18's.

The aftermarket items tend to look a bit crudely finished and aren't particularly light.

I did see a TT on 19's the other day though and they looked very OE (new RS4 style), so I don't know if Audi are now supplying them with a suitable offset.
  16. mitch78

mitch78 Active Member

[Nov 15, 2007]
    :thumbsup:
  17. jamiekip

jamiekip Guest

[Nov 15, 2007]
    I was asking about the 19" TT wheels - are they the right offset then?
    Would be interesting to know as they could be a nice compromise if changing.
  18. JimmyJames

JimmyJames Jas.

[Nov 15, 2007]
    Latest from the garage after they enquired

Is that Audi Techy engineers say that yes the Irish/German whatever can have the RS4 style on them from build but the reason they gave was because our roads are not that great, UK S3's have revised suspension/tuned differently and they do not offer the RS4 style wheel as an option because of that also because the front calipers are big on the S3 there may be brake slap as a result. Mmmmmmmmm. Yes I know what your thinking. Smells like-----

There is a red S3 on Sunderland Audi site with titanium coloured RS4 style wheels. I spoke of this but local garage reckons whoever buys this is in for a shock and may end up with an invalid warranty. Question is how did they put them on in the first place. Mmmmmmmmmm Again!

Anyway I've chased enough and I'll go with the "S" wheel.

I'm also a lucky chap as my S3 has been brought forward a week and i pick it up tommorrow. Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!