Heel & Toe : a pain for you too?

JaminBen

Reaction score
For all you un-automated shifters out there, do you find it difficult to heel-and-toe with your 8p A3?

I certainly do! Granted my feet are not small (11s), but I've never had such a hard time...

It seems that a brake pedal pad situated a little higher and a litle more to the right would help out a lot.

Any thoughts?

cheers!
- Ben.

Didn't think you could heel and toe on 'fly by wire' throttle controled cars.?

Another silly question from me after i promised not to ask them.....

But for what reason would you want to heel and toe? Not on a race track?
and especially in a DSG car?

I must have a misunderstanding of the purpose of heel and toeing!

Sorry!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Another silly question from me after i promised not to ask them.....

But for what reason would you want to heel and toe? Not on a race track?
and especially in a DSG car?

I must have a misunderstanding of the purpose of heel and toeing!

Sorry!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't have DSG??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

There's a sense of satisfaction when you heel and toe whilst driving, especially when you get it right! also, it sounds great, especially when you have a V6 under the bonnet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Its a lot quicker and easier to heel and toe - takes the strain of the thigh and calf muscles.

In answer to the original question, I have found it a little tricky to heel and toe. I end up toe-ing the top left bit of the accelerator pedal.

Time for a silly question of my own: do DSG cars have different accelerator and brake pedals to non-DSG cars...?

DSG Blips throttle on down changes for you.

Oh and yes it has a bigger brake pedal.

apologies - i somehow read the sig and missed "without" doh..

So basically the advantages are:
a) sense of satisfaction
b) sounds better
c) takes strain of thighs and calf muscles

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I thought it was more to do with smooth efficient gear changes. Rev matching also puts less strain on the gearbox or the syncro mesh anyway.

i find the brakes on the S3 very sensitive (some say over-servo'd) and with my clumsy feet its really tough to brake smoothly without toeing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I guess its not so bad in the 8P?

anyway i'm in wrong forum - i'll get back to 8L now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was more to do with smooth efficient gear changes. Rev matching also puts less strain on the gearbox or the syncro mesh anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that what a clutch is for? OK, it will certainly reduce wear on the clutch plate.

Another stupid question: heal-toeing is braking with the toe and then blipping the throttle with the heel. Is that right? Never been able to do it - I always find the accelerator pedal too high compared to the depressed brake pedal.

Could be wrong, but thought it was more 'brake with heel and blip with outside ball of foot.

yeah, thats the one Japper. Its the way i used to do it in my 306 but i had to have the accelerator adjusted to be able to do it properly.

http://www.rbrally.com/Download/EVO9_Nurb.wmv

This is why I thought it was the othe way around (and I think I have seen other rally drivers to it this way).

So heel on brake. So the toe is actually pressing on the accelerator linkage rather than the accerator pedal bit itself?

to add to the above, the reason for the braking is to bring the back end round so you can power drift through corners. Heel and toeing is only really effective in front wheel drive cars. As rear wheel drive cars you use the power of the engine to bring the back end round. It's nothing to do with keeping the engine in the right power band, it's all to do with manouvering the car.

Can't heel and toe on Audis coz as soon as you press the brake pedal the engine revs drop to 2000 revs.
Try parking up, pressing the brake pedal with your left foot and whilst holding it, try pressing the throttle with your right. !!!

This is what I said earlier in the thread, although you can use 'heel and toe' to rev match and so aid smoother gear changes, you cannot effectively left foot brake to alter the cars attitude, i.e . try and promote a little oversteer. Because of 'fly by wire' throttle as soon as you use brake the throttle is cut.