Heavy Steering

gselliott1

Reaction score
Hi all, having some issues with the steering on my 2011 A4 I drove over something in the road the other day not 100% what it was as the roads were very wet and it was dark but I think it was a pot hole and it made a bit of a bang and ever since the steering hasn't been right. It is very heavy when I am turning left or going round a left hand bend, I have had the wheels aligned twice now (the steering wheel was off centre after the first attempt) but it hasn't really made any difference. I have had a look at the wheel itself and can't see any obvious damage so I'm wondering if there is something more serious wrong? I'm going to get it booked in to the garage next week but just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas what could be wrong and what costs am I looking at?

Thanks

Something is bent. You need to take it somewhere that does full 4 wheel alignment.... and maybe not KwikFit or similar, somewhere that knows their stuff. You may have to then get a part or two then get it aligned.

Thanks for the reply, I got the alignment done at a tyre place that have always been pretty good and they told me they had done the full 4 wheel alignment but I'll be honest I didn't get the print out off them this time so I'm not sure exactly what they did (or didn't do). I'm going to book it in the garage first thing on Monday morning and get them to have a proper look at it.

I'm just hoping this isn't going to be a big bill before xmas tho!!

Are all your tyres holding pressure?

Might be worth getting the wheels whipped off and having the balance checked on them to make sure you haven't buckled a wheel

Yes I've checked the tyre pressures and they are fine, good point about the buckled wheel I was going to take the wheel off tomorrow and have a look at it but I will also get them ballanced! Although I would have thought that if it was buckled I would notice it even when driving in a straight line, this only seems to happen when I'm specifically turning left?

Hay until you whip the wheel of and have look we can guess all night long , may have snapped a spring have a good look their as it may be hard to see if it snapped low down in the lower coil .but hay you wont know till you look , but take care when driving in the meantime :yes:

Your absolutely right, I will have a good look tomorrow.

Cheers all.

Reactions: GAS MONKEY