1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heavy rain = hurrendous noise

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Bradderz_1988, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

[Nov 10, 2013]
    The past few weeks we had a couple of heavy bursts of rain and when ive been on the motorway its makes a hurrendous vibration/can in a bike wheel type growling noise from the rear end seems to be more from the n/s/r, abyone every experienced this ??

im leaning towards three things -

Possible rear diff (yet to replace)
    Possible rear discs as there drilled and grooved (but noise doesnt go when braking, need to swap to 300mm upgrade)
    possible wheel bearing (but ive not so long replaced them)

any ideas ?? Driveshafts look all in good order only thing i found was the lower frt inner wishbone bush has slight movement but cant see it being that !!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. dubster67

dubster67 Member

[Nov 10, 2013]
    Have had this as well. I noticed it about a year ago, I'm thinking it maybe exhaust related. It feels/sounds like its hitting against the body or subframe. I wondered if a large quantity of water is getting trapped somewhere and forcing the exhaust down or up etc.

Nothing has fallen off, and there are no noises any other time so I've not done anymore investigation. Can't think how I'd investigate this anyway except camera under the car when driving through large puddles.
  4. crazy88

crazy88 Loving the anonymity

[Nov 10, 2013]
    I wrote about this in the ASN pub just the other day, and it always seems to be when it's raining too. Like a vibrating noise. Scottb5 suggested heat shield maybe? I've yet to look under mine, but as you say nothing has fallen off.

It did it again last night going to Leeds on the m62. As soon as I let off it stops.

I also wondered whether it was the exhaust. What exhaust you got Dubster? I know myself and Bradderz_1988 have the same milltek

Oh, and if I was to guess I'd say mine sounded central and around the handbrake area, maybe a bit further back
  5. Bradderz_1988

[Nov 10, 2013]
    Mine does it off throttle but comes when on throttle and chaning down to 4th can sometimes make the fault occur ?? it sounds as though the wheel is about to come off lol i have noticed that when doing 80mph on a private road ..... That it has a slight judder when braking slightly sometimes its through steering and sometimes through the body ?? I might just leave it till i swap out the rear diff and upgrade the brakes !!
  6. crazy88

[Nov 10, 2013]
    Let me know when you do the brakes, may be interested as you've slightly upgraded them haven't you?
  7. dubster67

dubster67 Member

[Nov 10, 2013]
    I've got a Jetex exhaust. Can't really say when it does it ie on/off throttle, never bothered to test that, was to busy shouting " WTF is that! This car is driving me nuts! "

I just can't imagine how some water would move something(propshaft, exhaust etc?) so much to cause it to make that amount of noise.
  8. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Nov 10, 2013]
    mine is the miltek hitting the alloy diif holder because it shrinks due to the cooling of the water and touches
  9. dubster67

dubster67 Member

[Nov 10, 2013]
    I could see that happening with my Jetex as it is ridiculously close to the diff mount.

I'll need to get the mrs to hang her head out the door and have a look the next time its raining heavy. LOL.
  10. crazy88

[Nov 10, 2013]
    Interesting byzan, I'll have a look how close mine sits. I know mine needs a little fettling as it hangs low due to being slightly twisted. It needs new clamps anyway, so when I do that in the next few weeks I'll have a look at how it hangs near the diff holder.

On a side note, does it do it when cold then? Is it just that typically by the time I get to the motorway it's already heated and won't knock the holder?
  11. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Nov 10, 2013]
    mine only does it in standing water
  12. Bradderz_1988

[Nov 10, 2013]
    Crazy88 :- my brakes are standard on the rear so just same as yours, ive just painted them red and put drilled/grooved disc's on with mintex pads. If your after them then id say £60 for the lot ??

i didnt think about the exhaust !! I will see what happens when i replace the diff/rear brakes.

im actually thinking of not using mine as a daily and get a cheap runabout and just use the TQS for weekends as it feeling old and tired and racking up the milage abit as im doing 300+ miles a week and needs some TLC which needs some good time to do it and with me now having a garage/drive i could do some well needed jobs were i dont have to worry about doing everything in a low time frame !

also be good excuse to rebuild the engine thats in it with some stronger rods :)
  13. Blue_Thunder

Blue_Thunder Active Member

[Nov 12, 2013]
    Yep, +1 for Byzan's suggestion. I had this as well with my old Milltek 3" single on my S4. When it was hot and you drove through standing water, the underside would cool, your exhaust would go banana shape and touch something solid, transferring all exhaust vibration directly into the cabin. I had new link pipes made up by a decent exhaust place and it never happened again (although mine would also hit the diff mount when it got really hot too).
  14. Bradderz_1988

[Nov 12, 2013]
    Thanks for the replies at least i no what it is now lol
  15. Mr K

Mr K Member

[Nov 12, 2013]
    I have a jetex fitted too and have been busy replacing things to try to stop it doing this. It does tie with it being the exhaust as mine did it the first time a couple of days after I fitted the next exhaust!

Its a rotational thudding / vibration in the centre of teh car, and you can really feel it through the arm rest. Sounds and feels as though the cars going to disintergrate, but then disapears after a few seconds. Really odd.

The exhaust does need adjusting on mine, I put a lot of time into tweeking the supports to get the back box to fit cetraly and nicely spaced up into the rear bumper, but with only the rear of the car lifted I struggled to get the centre right and needed it done for Le Mans which was a week or so later, so left it but still havent got around to going back to it. Its also REALLY close to the rear diff mount.

Pleased to hear Im not the only one. I was looking at replacing the centre prop bearing!
  16. AB5QTS

AB5QTS Member

[Nov 14, 2013]
    First winter I had it I thought I had something wrong or stuck in the wheel/brakes. It happened when driving in wet snow. Like mentioned it happened particularly in heavy rain or when going through standing water, I always thought it was just water getting onto the exhaust and boiling off. Stick it in neutral when driving and rev it. Sounds very rumbly