Heating stops giving out heat .. after 10 seconds or so it will give out heat ???

jay786

Reaction score
I have this intermittent problem ... climate control is on giving heat .. randomly it would stop giving out any air but is still on. After 10 seconds or so it starts giving air .. why is that?

Why does it randomly shut off and start again?

THanks in advance

Can you elaborate a bit more?

Are you saying the fans stop working? Or that they keep blowing but the air suddenly goes cold? What temperature setting have you got the climate on? And what sort of length journey?

You've only just changed the thermostat I understand, have you driven far since? Might there be an airlock in the sytsem?

That used to happen before thermostat change .. il have it on high temp and fan at full speed .. randomly it will stop giving out heat and it will start again after 10 seconds

i think i know what you mean, i have had a sort of electric fault with my heaters only twice in a year, very strange.

That used to happen before thermostat change .. il have it on high temp and fan at full speed .. randomly it will stop giving out heat and it will start again after 10 seconds

As in HI? As hot as it will go? I've never had mine above 22c!

brushes on the fan.
common on the B5s and looks like its happening with your (if I read what you're saying right).

there is a how to in the B5 section by me.

yeah .. whether HI or LO .. does it ...

I plugged a diagnostic thingy and i mentioned on one of the other threads about error coming up saying air conditioning unit blocked/power failure .. does that have anything to do with it?

brushes on the fan.
common on the B5s and looks like its happening with your (if I read what you're saying right).

there is a how to in the B5 section by me.

What do you mean?

the fan motor on the B5s has to metal brushes.
these wear down and causes the systems you've explained.

my was doing the same. I replaced the brushes and all works fine now.

brushes ?? okay .. how much are they .. are they easy to change?

The brushes are on ebay and there's a How To in the B5 section, as Scott said.

I'm not aware of this being a big problem in B6's though.

The brushes are on ebay and there's a How To in the B5 section, as Scott said.

I'm not aware of this being a big problem in B6's though.

I've not seen any one mentioning it before but I guess if they are the same set up at the B5s, no reason why not.

Or another idea is the resister?
I'm not sure if you guys got them.
It's an issue on BMWs and its a fault on our pug.