1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heater flap motors - where to buy

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by jbcalvin, Oct 5, 2011.

1. jbcalvin

jbcalvin Member

[Oct 5, 2011]
    Hi guys,

Need to replace a faulty heater flap motor, have cleaned all connections/linkages, stripped it down and re-lubed it, but still no joy...

Stealer wants nearly £90 + VAT, bloody hell.....

Was wondering where else to get one, wary of a breakers as no guarantee it will work, anyone know if the Seat Exeo uses the same system as it may be cheaper from them......

Or anywhere else that stocks them, Euro and GSF don't.....

Cheers

Steve
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 21, 2014]

3. hades-

hades- Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Oct 5, 2011]
    ebay around a tenner
    they always pop up
  4. quattro tony

quattro tony Member

[Oct 5, 2011]
    Ive just replaced my air recirculation one , tps wanted over £70:ohmy: i managed to get one from a guy off ebay breaking a a4 he had , just fitted it , all fine.
  5. benjie

benjie Active Member

[Oct 5, 2011]
    Is it fairly obvious (once you have the glove box off) how to remove and replace?

Also, I periodically have no air coming from the central vents when on AUTO - though curiously it always works when I press the button for the central vent only - any clues as to which motor is dodgy?
  6. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 5, 2011]
    There was one on ebay for ages, £35 buy it now but I can't find it now.

This gives you an idea of what you'll see when you take the glove box out.

[​IMG]
  7. benjie

benjie Active Member

[Oct 5, 2011]
    Very interesting... are those 3 motors the same? Same part numbers? And the green/orange levers - do they need greasing or not?
  8. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 5, 2011]
    From memory the motor's are all the same, but please check that and don't just take my word for it. You can try greasing the mechanisms, but in reality it's probably the motors at fault.
  9. benjie

benjie Active Member

[Oct 5, 2011]
    Right, I'll take a look, thanks!
  10. jbcalvin

jbcalvin Member

[Oct 5, 2011]
    Cheers for this guys,

Not sure if all the motors are the same, the one I need to replace is on the drivers side and a bit wary of bay stuff as a friend bought one and it wasn't working either, not sure if there is any way to test them either unless using vag-com.....

Steve
  11. benjie

benjie Active Member

[Oct 5, 2011]
    They do all have different part numbers... well, the letters are different at the end, but that can make all the difference, e.g. Headlight switch with A at the end = standard headlight switch, same part number with B at the end = Auto headlights switch. ANyway, here's the part numbers with colours... (taken from vagcat.com which is an online ETKA)

Control motor for temperature regulating flap right rhd yellow V 158 – 8E2 820 511
    Control motor for temperature regulating flap left rhd brown V 159 - 8E2 820 511 A
    Positioning motor for defroster flap rhd green V 107 - 8E2 820 511 B
    Actuator motor, footwell flap / foot well flap rhd black V 70 - 8E2 820 511 C
    Positioning motor for recirculated air operation rhd blue V 113 - 8E2 820 511 D

Hope this helps!
  12. 666markyboy

666markyboy Well-Known Member

[Oct 6, 2011]
    I've had some success in the past stripping the motors apart and cleaning the potentiometer inside..... once you have the motors split in half there's basically an electric motor a couple of gears and a potentiometer which looks like disc ... it's this disc that fails it either gets dirty or just werars out inside.... if it's just dirty giving it a good squirt of WD40 of better still some circuit board cleaner can sometimes solve your problem.... the external linkages dont normally seize but the flaps can sometimes get a little stuck... dont forget also if you have dual climate there's a couple more motors on the otherside of the console
  13. dope

dope alcoholic pervert

[Oct 6, 2011]
    I noticed yesterday I can't get anything out of the centre two vents - is that likely to be one of these motors at fault?
  14. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 12, 2014]
    Apologies for reopening this thread, But I'm pretty certain I need to replace the first motor on this list; i.e. control motor for temperature regulating flap right rhd yellow V 158 – 8E2 820 511, on my B7.

Does anyone have a photo showing the location under the driver's side lower dash panel? Also, can anyone confirm this is the correct part for the driver's side.

Thanks.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  15. Gaz!

Gaz! Member

[Feb 12, 2014]
    I've just fixed my footwell flap motor. The one with the circular black linkage.

The worm on the motor was jamming against the gear. As the gear is only in contact with the worm for 180 degrees, I just turned the gear around 180 degrees as it was worn. Regressed it, job done.

The motors them selves are the same, it's the lever attachment (coloured bit) that is different between them, but is easily removable.
  16. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro! VCDS Map User

[Feb 12, 2014]
    Isn't there a way of recalibrating them via vcds on Audi? I've seen this done on a passat b5.5.