Heater flap motors - where to buy

jbcalvin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Need to replace a faulty heater flap motor, have cleaned all connections/linkages, stripped it down and re-lubed it, but still no joy...

Stealer wants nearly £90 + VAT, ****** hell.....

Was wondering where else to get one, wary of a breakers as no guarantee it will work, anyone know if the Seat Exeo uses the same system as it may be cheaper from them......

Or anywhere else that stocks them, Euro and GSF don't.....

Cheers

Steve

ebay around a tenner
they always pop up

Ive just replaced my air recirculation one , tps wanted over £70:ohmy: i managed to get one from a guy off ebay breaking a a4 he had , just fitted it , all fine.

Is it fairly obvious (once you have the glove box off) how to remove and replace?

Also, I periodically have no air coming from the central vents when on AUTO - though curiously it always works when I press the button for the central vent only - any clues as to which motor is dodgy?

There was one on ebay for ages, £35 buy it now but I can't find it now.

This gives you an idea of what you'll see when you take the glove box out.

P1030651.jpg

From memory the motor's are all the same, but please check that and don't just take my word for it. You can try greasing the mechanisms, but in reality it's probably the motors at fault.

Cheers for this guys,

Not sure if all the motors are the same, the one I need to replace is on the drivers side and a bit wary of bay stuff as a friend bought one and it wasn't working either, not sure if there is any way to test them either unless using vag-com.....

Steve

They do all have different part numbers... well, the letters are different at the end, but that can make all the difference, e.g. Headlight switch with A at the end = standard headlight switch, same part number with B at the end = Auto headlights switch. ANyway, here's the part numbers with colours... (taken from vagcat.com which is an online ETKA)

Control motor for temperature regulating flap right rhd yellow V 158 – 8E2 820 511
Control motor for temperature regulating flap left rhd brown V 159 - 8E2 820 511 A
Positioning motor for defroster flap rhd green V 107 - 8E2 820 511 B
Actuator motor, footwell flap / foot well flap rhd black V 70 - 8E2 820 511 C
Positioning motor for recirculated air operation rhd blue V 113 - 8E2 820 511 D

Hope this helps!

I've had some success in the past stripping the motors apart and cleaning the potentiometer inside..... once you have the motors split in half there's basically an electric motor a couple of gears and a potentiometer which looks like disc ... it's this disc that fails it either gets dirty or just werars out inside.... if it's just dirty giving it a good squirt of WD40 of better still some circuit board cleaner can sometimes solve your problem.... the external linkages dont normally seize but the flaps can sometimes get a little stuck... dont forget also if you have dual climate there's a couple more motors on the otherside of the console

They do all have different part numbers... well, the letters are different at the end, but that can make all the difference, e.g. Headlight switch with A at the end = standard headlight switch, same part number with B at the end = Auto headlights switch. ANyway, here's the part numbers with colours... (taken from vagcat.com which is an online ETKA)

Control motor for temperature regulating flap right rhd yellow V 158 – 8E2 820 511
Control motor for temperature regulating flap left rhd brown V 159 - 8E2 820 511 A
Positioning motor for defroster flap rhd green V 107 - 8E2 820 511 B
Actuator motor, footwell flap / foot well flap rhd black V 70 - 8E2 820 511 C
Positioning motor for recirculated air operation rhd blue V 113 - 8E2 820 511 D

Hope this helps!

Apologies for reopening this thread, But I'm pretty certain I need to replace the first motor on this list; i.e. control motor for temperature regulating flap right rhd yellow V 158 – 8E2 820 511, on my B7.

Does anyone have a photo showing the location under the driver's side lower dash panel? Also, can anyone confirm this is the correct part for the driver's side.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've just fixed my footwell flap motor. The one with the circular black linkage.

The worm on the motor was jamming against the gear. As the gear is only in contact with the worm for 180 degrees, I just turned the gear around 180 degrees as it was worn. Regressed it, job done.

The motors them selves are the same, it's the lever attachment (coloured bit) that is different between them, but is easily removable.

Just repaired my A4 b7 cab after getting cold feet. basically no air to the footwell vents so took off glove box and you look at the image posted earlier:
P1030651.jpg

I ran all the different vent positions and it was the highest motor with the black linkage that wasn't moving.
From what I can gather, the motor with the green linkage controls the trim on the upper vents, the motor with the red linkage controls the dual bit (ie varies the air temp between passanger and drivers side) and the black linkage controls the footwell vents.
It was very easy to strip down and take apart ( everything just clips in place or together). I think the sprocket and the gear worm had become jammed a little originally as once I took the motor out it was difficult to turn which is why it wasn't working
Popped all the gears out, cleaned it all up, re-greased it all and put back together and did this:
once you have the motors split in half there's basically an electric motor a couple of gears and a potentiometer which looks like disc ... it's this disc that fails it either gets dirty or just werars out inside.... if it's just dirty giving it a good squirt of WD40 of better still some circuit board cleaner can sometimes solve your problem
then tested with a 9V battery making sure it worked in both direction fully, re-installed and bingo, jobs a good-un!

Reactions: crazy88
I had a look on the other side underneath the steering wheel and didn't see anything like this TBH

Well they're there somewhere, you wouldn't be able to control each side independently without them!!

As an update to this thread, mine was making funny clicking noises from time to time so thought it was worth getting a price for the new part. TPS now want £110 for the part!!!!! The bloke on the phone also said that it had changed part number so I presume the design has been updated to prevent this sort of failure again but I'm not paying £110 for it. I've took it out again, cleaned it up and put it back in and seems fine so far. If it goes again I'll probably get one off ebay for about £20 and replace it

Hi guys,

Need to replace a faulty heater flap motor, have cleaned all connections/linkages, stripped it down and re-lubed it, but still no joy...

Stealer wants nearly £90 + VAT, ****** hell.....

Was wondering where else to get one, wary of a breakers as no guarantee it will work, anyone know if the Seat Exeo uses the same system as it may be cheaper from them......

Or anywhere else that stocks them, Euro and GSF don't.....

Cheers

Steve
I got mine from Ebay. Granted you can't guarantee that they work, but I've been lucky on the three I've replaced. They're only a tenner. I found that you can get pretty much any A4 (or Exeo one) and just prise off the coloured lever, and use the one from the defective one.

I've priced up ones for a Seat Exeo, and penny for penny, I was given the same price as the Audi part!

Pete

Mine doesn't blow out the centre vents, do you have the part I need? If so, could I buy it?

Thanks

Check post number 10, all the part numbers and functions are listed there.

I think it is yes. The driver side temp flap motor is, I believe, located in the driver's footwell. If I remember correctly the lower dash trim under the steering wheel comes off with about 4-6 screws and you should see the motor on the opposite side from the ones shown in that photo.

Frank

sorry ive missed this tread i do have all the heater control servos, so if you still need them. i can help.

Hi Neil, just got to find 10mins to check all the fuses as it appears none of my servos are working - which is strange - but one of them flagged up as shorted to earth. I'll let you know in the next couple of days if that is ok?

Cheers, Mark

Hi Neil, just got to find 10mins to check all the fuses as it appears none of my servos are working - which is strange - but one of them flagged up as shorted to earth. I'll let you know in the next couple of days if that is ok?

Cheers, Mark
yea thats fine mate.

Hi Neil, after checking all the flaps today, it looks like I need the drivers side temperature servo. I need the yellow arm as well as this had broken off in the servo - see 2nd pic. The first pic shows the part number.
Do yours have the arms?
Cheers, Marking

Drivers Temp Servo2

While I was under the dash I thought i'd take a picture of the Drivers Temp. Flap so others can see what they are up against.

So this is the: Control motor for temperature regulating flap right rhd yellow V 158 – 8E2 820 511

These was taken with the lower dash and heater matrix cover removed. There is not much room but only one of the servo mounting screws is a pain to get too using a 6mm socket or spanner.

Reactions: vanbling