1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

heated mirrors retrofit...

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by demus, Sep 3, 2012.

1. demus

demus Fire in the hole !!

[Sep 3, 2012]
    I'm thinking about the heated mirror retrofit again, I did a while back, but then my little girl arrived and things kinda took a back seat..
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...-chassis/84069-heated-mirrors.html#post854586

Cheers again for all the replys, I'm on the verge of buying a couple of genuine heated mirrors from the local stealer, in the mean time I'll try and check meas blocks 12 & 13 in 46 central conv module and see what their status is in there, as Woorlord done in the above thread.

If anyone has any more info or experience on retrofitting them I'd be glad to hear it.....
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 21, 2014]

3. swarcup

swarcup Well-Known Member

[Sep 4, 2012]
    i bought two and fitted them and they worked straight away with no coding needed, i have spoke to a few people and they all said the same. only thing i had to do was clean up the connectors as they had been sat corroding for a few years. I bought a left hand drive drivers mirror for my passenger side as this has the blind spot as our drivers has.
  4. demus

[Sep 5, 2012]
    I spoke to the local stealer yesterday, and from the reg number he says it should have heated mirrors, so maybe they have been broken and replaced.. I dont know.
    Anyway, I've heard of people buying aftermarket mirrors, to find they wont work, then fit a genuine one and alls fine.
    Does it have to be genuine ones, and genuine prices, or is there an aftermarket one that will work??
  5. BlackQuat

BlackQuat Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Sep 5, 2012]
    I bought aftermarket ones and they worked great.
  6. demus

[Sep 8, 2012]
    In the manual it says the mirrors will heat up when the rear demist is switched on and the ambient air temp is below a "certain" temperature..
    Anyone got an idea of what this "certain" temp is, I fitted a new heated mirror earlier and it didnt warm up, but the DIS was showing 20 degC..
  7. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 8, 2012]
    From memory its 7c.
  8. demus

[Sep 9, 2012]
    Fired up this morning, and it heated up, DIS showing 13deg, very damp..

While were on the subject of temperature, anyone noticed the bug in the DIS regarding the ice warning symbol?
    Mine comes on at 5deg, and then stays on as the temp drops, until -5.5deg, then it goes out again, on our 2004 at work they had changed it.. maybe Audi presumed at first that at that temp you need to be a muppet to not realise theres ice about..
  9. demus

[Dec 6, 2012]
    Just to add to the end of this thread, the drivers side would never heat up.. got round to checking it out and it turned out that the two heater connections on the door control module were both corroded, cleaned and alls fine..

so if anyone does try this mod and it doesn't seem to work, whip off the door trim and check all the connections..
  10. T0m

T0m Member

[Dec 6, 2012]
    Talking of these heated mirrors mine has got them and when the one got damaged by a lorry I had to take it apart and there is another loose spare wire in my housing with a connector on it but it wasnt connected to anything does anyone know what this is for?

I will try and get some pics when its try as its covered in tape at the mo to keep it all dry!
  11. stu_m

stu_m Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

12. T0m

T0m Member

[Dec 6, 2012]
    Yup the two for the heated element and then another wire with a connector block for something else.....only thing I can think of is auto dimming mirrors maybe?
  13. fallmonk

fallmonk Turbo Sport

[Dec 7, 2012]
    Am I right In reading that they are all pre wired but just not fitted ??
    I still find it strange that they didn't fit them as standard !
    I can't find a fuse so I assumed it doesn't have one , mirrors coming off tomorrow and am checking if it had wires and heating elements !
  14. fallmonk

fallmonk Turbo Sport

[Dec 8, 2012]
    Its official Audi are cheap barstewards a 30k motor when new and i pulled the mirror off two wires and no where to plug them into !
    going to have to get a heated set , esp with winter here .