1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

heated mirrors not working.

moschino Jan 7, 2003

1. moschino

moschino Member

Can anyone help? I have a 1998 A4 and have noticed with all the frost around my mirrors do not demist. I take it that they will heat up when the heated rear window is on? I have checked the fuses and they look ok - everything else in the car works fine. The Haynes manual shows a 10Amp fuse located within the heated rear window switch. Can anyone confirm this. If so, how can I get to the fuse without damaging the facia/plastics? I don't believe it is a problem with the elements in the mirrors as they both do not work, i can however check with a resistance meter. Any ideas??????

2. toasty

toasty Member

I'd check with an Ohmmeter mate. Also while you have the mirror out you could check that the power is getting through using a voltmeter.

It is a common fault on lots of audis.

Funny you should mention it actually, mine weren't working this morning either (both)

I had the ones done on my old A4 2.8Q under warranty.

Hope this helps.

3. mramage

mramage Member

I had the same on my A4. I believe it's because the mirrors are actually heated all the time (this was changed on later models), so they usually pack up in a year or two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. DJG

DJG New Member

Yep on earlier models they were on all the time hence in the Summer they burnt out. Daft!

Had 3 or 4 sets under warranty on my 96 A4. Last set included a thermostat built in to the mirror that turn off above a certain (low) temperature. These lasted until I sold the car.

Neither of the heated mirrors work on my 99 S4, but they are being replaced under warranty.

David

5. JohnH

JohnH Member

Well I must be lucky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My Drivers side one works but the passenger doesnt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Guess I will just get two from VAG Parts and get a drivers side with a blindspot mirror built in.

6. Kraken

Kraken New Member

Yup - I've got the problem too, only my passenger side mirror works and the driver's side doesn't. Would be more useful if it was the other way round! Still she's in for a service soon and I'm still on my 'Approved' warranty so I hope they'll sort it under that.

7. Ram

Ram Member

These things are like £80 a piece!

Ram®

8. Simon

Simon Member

I have a '96 A4 and neithe rof mine were working, so I brought a pair from Audispares (as they were) left em in the garage for a few months before getting around to fitting them.

But when I did (easy job took 5 minutes) I noticed that they only come on when the rear screen is on - I have tested this thouroughly and did some checking and there is a simple mod that you can do to change it from being on all the time to only when the heated screen is on - but I can't remember what it is!

I think it used to be in the technical section, but I am sure it can be found on Audiworld.

Simon

9. Ram

Ram Member

10. moschino

moschino Member

Thanks Dan, I will check with an ohm meter ASAP.