1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heated Mirrors, i would of searched but it has been disabled

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by gruf, Jan 25, 2010.

1. gruf

gruf Member

i fixed rusty plugs on the back of my mirrors and they still didn't heat up so i bought a pair of these off fleabay,
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260433128360
    one side seems to get really hot, i mean buring hot, when i check the other side it seems to be nice and toasty, then they go off, but the heated rear screen switch is still on and i cant get them to work again, is this normal, or have i got something wrong.
    Thanks

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. calvin

calvin parked up

oooh - heated mirrors?!

(sorry to hijack your thread!)

I always thought my car (1998 S4 B5) didnt have them - could it be then that they just aint working? It would be great to have that on my car - too many a cold morning with misty views...

How can I prove that I have or havent got heated mirrors? Is there a fuse specifically?
    I do have electric operated ones and the electrics all work.

4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!"
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

They all have heated mirrors.

95-96ish only operate with the heated screen, and tend to be quite reliable.
    97-99ish seem to be on all the time, which means after 12years the elements will be burnt out.
    99> i think have some kinda thermostat in the glass, which turns them off if its warm, so are probably a little bit more reliable.

gruf: not really sure to be honest, but at a guess the mirror that got smokin hot is perhaps faulty? Maybe even drew so much current that it blew the fuse?

5. calvin

calvin parked up

Cheers - thats really helpful - will investigate now.

Do you know if one can get the glass out of a pre-facelift mirror without breaking it?

#4 calvin, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  6. moschino

moschino Member

Use the mirror switch to move the glass to the fully down position, then use your fingers (As long as they are not too fat?) to pluck the glass out of the housing. It should come out without breaking.
    Regards,
    Jim.

7. gruf

gruf Member

i ain't blew a fuse, they work but i think that get hot when i ain't driving, if i drive they feel nice, also i think the mirrors i have bought are from face lift and cut out once they get to a certain temp, i think they a temp sensor in the mirror, i think