1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heated Mirror Issue

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by TwistedMind, Oct 20, 2012.

1. TwistedMind

TwistedMind Long Live The A6

[Oct 20, 2012]
    Morning All

Heated mirror issue this time. Driver one works fine. Passenger one has no voltage at the terminals.

Are the on the same circuit ?

Where do i start fault finding?

Cheers.

Mind
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. murran

murran Active Member

[Oct 20, 2012]
    broken wire in the rubber boot to the door in the a post?
  4. TwistedMind

[Oct 20, 2012]
    Murran, hope not. Just had broken wires in the boot fixed. will the colour codes be the same in the kick panel ?

I was thinking of testing there first to see if the power is present in the kick panel.

The soldering iron is coming out way to much LOL.
  5. TwistedMind

[Oct 21, 2012]
    Bit strange now. Have the mirror fully apart. When i now put the ignition on i have constant 12V on the wires ?

Are the heated mirrors always powered ?
  6. elan2s

elan2s Member

[Oct 22, 2012]
    I believe so, but it may be build date dependent. Audi certainly went through a period of permanently powering the mirrors. I had a '97 A4 that must have gone through at least 3 sets of mirror glasses because they were permanently powered leading to the wires in the glass burning out. Can't recall definitely, but I think both my '00 and '03 A6s were the same, although I did not have the mirror burn out issues
  7. TwistedMind

[Oct 22, 2012]
    Mine is a 2000, doing some googling they are 12v all the time. the mirror has an integral thermostat. Only active below 12 deg'

What a stupid idea.

Cheap heated mirror from ebay time. Lets see how long that lasts.
  8. amimmortal

amimmortal Member

[Oct 23, 2012]
    I just noticed that my driver side mirror is only clearing half of the glass - how easy is it to remove the trim and get into the gubbinz?

It does seem a bit daft that the mirrors are constantly heated, especially in summer...
  9. TwistedMind

[Oct 23, 2012]
    2 Screws under the mirror, pop off the bottom trim. put your han inside then pop the glass out. Disconnect the 2 wires on the glass and replace.

Take it easy with the 2 screws. The heads break off easy
  10. TwistedMind

[Oct 28, 2012]
    Update,

Purchased a mirror from ebay for a tenna. What a mistake. Just a peice of cut class with a electronic heat pad on the back. No thermostat

No wonder they burn out quick. Time to shell out and get a OEM from audi.
  11. amimmortal

amimmortal Member

[Jan 20, 2013]
    Hi all,

I never got round to fixing my mirror, and with the recent cold snap, the mirror has now cracked. There is also a small burn mark on the mirror housing, just next to the start of the crack.

So would I be right in saying that the wires have now properly burnt out? Incidentally, one half of the mirror is still heated. It's possible the crack was caused because of this.

I had a go at removing the housing to have a look, but although I managed to remove the screws no problem, it was proving difficult to remove the lower trim. So rather than forcing it, I just left it.

Would anyone happen to know how much it might cost to get the wiring sorted and a new mirror fitted?

Thanks!

A.
  12. evomaster3000

evomaster3000 Member

[Jan 24, 2013]
    I was considering re-wiring the rear window de-mister switch to the mirrors (like Renault do on a 2002 Laguna for example) via this link:

AudiWorld Tech Articles

Ancidently how much is a genuine OEM mirror from Audi? I think maybe an eBay one may work well with the re-wiring to the rear window switch, lets face it in the UK how often does the temperature go above 12 degrees C? I may try this mod when I get my A6 back on the road in a few weeks.
  13. TwistedMind

[Jan 28, 2013]
    Amimm, you don't have to replace all of the wiring. Just cut off about 2 inch of the wire. Normally there is a lot of carbon buld up on the insite of the cables. And get rid of the rubbish spade connectors. Directly solder the mirror to the cables.