Heat Coming from panel under steering column

darkginger1

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm really hoping someone can shed some light on this issue.

I have heat coming from the panel under the steering wheel, nearer the centre console.

I recently has a DPF issue, and I thought that it might be related to this when the DPF was regenerating. But now that I've had this issue fixed, its still here.

The plastic panel gets really hot. If I turn the climate control off, then it will cool down. If I always turn the climate control off when I start driving then it never gets hot.
The plastic panel gets really hot regardless of whether I have climate control set to cool, or warm. Although I usually set it to cool, cos of the heat coming from plastic planning :(

So obviously it must be relating to climate control system. I've tried googling and searching forums to not avail, so any help would be helpful

James

That heat would be coming from the heater matrix, there is a foam seal around the back facing outward toward your knee to stop the draft from blowing out to the side. All i can think of is that it may have a aftermarket matrix fitted or the foam seal has worn away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok, i managed to find time to remove the panel under the steering column to have closer look
The heat is coming out above the actually vents. The actuators must be working, because i can feel the pressure change, and the temperature.

So it must be either a pipe that has come off the matrix or something similar, becuase is't actually hot air, and not just heat.

Does that sound likely, and is it easy to check? I need some reasurance before I in head first?

not checked, but If I turn the air con on cool, it come out coool, apart from the excaped air above the vent , which is still warn/hot

ok, reading around this, I think it may be a flap actuator, I believe these control the flow of both cold air and hot, so it looks like the hot drivers side mind be jiggered.

Does anyone have any information on this? If I get the VCDS errors checked will this point to the fault ??

Ok, I had a VCDS check, and I have no further errors being reported.

Does any one have any ideas ?