1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headunit choices OEM or Aftermarket?

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by BlackQuat, Nov 28, 2009.

1. BlackQuat

BlackQuat Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Nov 28, 2009]
    I have the Chorus headunit at the mo with a 6 cd changer. I quite like it, but i hate not having MP3.

So my choices are, get a sony mp3 cd changer and an adaptor. Will this put the song title up on the dash/cd player? Try and fit it where the oem changer is. I'm sure its doable.
    or
    Take it all out and just fit a sony mp3 unit. I really don't fancy hunting down wires and making it turn off when i pull out the keys. But at the same time i don't want to have it turning off when i turn off the engine.

Any thoughts?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 1, 2014]

3. BlackQuat

[Nov 28, 2009]
  4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 29, 2009]
    Depends on the model & year of your Audi. If you have a B6 A4 then the HU is CANBUS controlled, so there is no ignition on feed for the HU, so any aftermarket HU will not turn on/off with the ignition. You need to either wire one in from under the steering column:
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=4644&highlight=ignition

Or buy a CANBUS emulator, but this will only give you power to the HU when the ignition is on, it won't stay live until the keys are pulled out, which is how it should work.
    That adapter is for speaker input, you really should use the RCA input adapter, PC9-404, as long as the Sony has rear RCA's.
  5. BlackQuat

[Nov 29, 2009]
    Right so its best to just buy the rear speaker adaptor, and do the wiring for keys out?

Sony does have rears, but looking at pop out screen jobbies now.
  6. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

[Nov 29, 2009]
    TBH I wouldn't bother with the Sony as the sound from them is at best a bit naff, I'd be looking at Alpine or Pioneer units from my experience
  7. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 29, 2009]
    Yes, normally you'd rewire the rears directly to the HU but then you'd lose the subwoofer. You'll find using the adapter that you'll need to fade to rear quite a bit to balance the sound as the fronts will be getting more than twice the power from the Sony's amp (the stock HU only has 2 x 20w).