1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heads up - TD1 (for those that have Audi warranty).

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Imteyaz, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Imteyaz

Imteyaz 6th Gear

I just came across this : VWVortex.com - TD1 warranty flag

It seems that Audi (US) have a way of checking if a car is mapped, and they are using it to void customer warranties as a result. I don't know if Audi UK have a similar system, I'm sure they will have it soon if it's not in operation already. This affects people like me who have another 8 months of warranty cover but want to get their cars remapped.

Worrying...... I wonder if they will use it to stop any recall work being carried out in future (like the coil-pack recall that was done recently) by claiming that remapping would lead to the parts failing.

I had some recent warranty work carried out but as my car has (to my knowledge), never been remapped, they completed the work without any questions (Intake tumble flaps / solenoid). Has anybody (with a remapped car) had any warranty work carried out recently? Would be interesting to hear if anybody has been affected.
  2. Silky-S3

Silky-S3 Is loving his new 8V S3!

Hummm, interesting!
  3. Ads

Ads License to drive

How will they detect that a car has been remapped if you have the handheld unit that can put your actual original map back on the car (not just a map that has stock levels) and also resets the flash count? i.e. bluefin.
  4. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

I suspect there are some remnants left in the ecu of mapping, revo is a prime example of this, which is why the newer locked ecu's have made mappers move over to the tuning boxes that have no mapping at all done to the ecu afaik, so no remnants left over for manufacturers to see, I suspect a counter by eg audi will be a hidden log of boost levels etc for them to see.
    warren_S5 likes this.
  5. S3-Eric

S3-Eric New Member

Interesting read. Audi UK will most likely follow suit if they don't do it already. They will do anything to not pay out
  6. mjr901

mjr901 S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Stuff'em

:blahblah1:
  7. Imteyaz

Imteyaz 6th Gear

I think NHN is right in what he says, I had an 8L 1.8T previously and had it remapped by R-Tech who did a great job. When Nick uploaded the new map, he was showing me some other map files he had removed from other customers cars and there were files with random ID tags from other tuners - they didn't affect the way that the map worked but were sitting there as a kind of free text tag of ownership - perhaps Audi scan for something like this?

Nick also mentioned something about a 'check-sum' - I have no idea what it is but I vaguely remember him saying something about the check-sum must be correct for the map to work, perhaps there is some sort of link to this also.

Either way, I'm gonna hold out for a few more months till the warranty expires - then go and see Nick again for a re-map.
  8. amar06fbr

amar06fbr Vorsprung Durch Technik

i was speaking to a audi tech couple of weeks ago an he was telling me about audi will be doing someting to all the new cars so they will be able to tell if there been tamperd with, so we are safe well i am :D