Headlights stopped working

skipper316

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro with about 100k on it and yesterday morning I started the car up and went to turn on the lights and only the parking lights came on. The only thing I could do to get them working was to hold the turn signal lever towards me to keep the brights on. Even if I pushed the turn signal lever forward to turn the brights on, they wouldn't work either. I have not been able to get them working since then. Any ideas? I have not yet checked the fuses which I am going to do tonight and I will update, but if anyone else has ever run into this, please let me know. Thanks

Well, found out what is causing the problem. It looks like the entire stalk needs replacement. I found that when I pull the headlight switch towards me, then let it go, the lights come on. There must be something either loose or worn in there that is causing a problem. In talking with my local Audi Tech, this is a common problem with the audi's like mine. So I suppose I am part shopping now. Thanks for the suggestion.