1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlights have a mind of their own with recent bulb change

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by phil08, Jul 24, 2014.

1. phil08

phil08 Member

[Jul 24, 2014]
    Hi all,

Seems as my car gets into the hot weather its started to play up a little.

Recently had new spark plugs and coil packs following that the oil sensor had to be changed.

Anyway recently I had the xenon bulbs changed to a fresh set of 6000k bulbs and just in time to it would seem as the old bulbs had seen far better days and must have been the originals.

Anyway I have a pre facelight 2001 S3. Following the bulbs being replaced the nearside one didn't want to work, throwing up a dash warning light for a dodgy bulb. The next day it worked fine along with the offside bulb. It repeated this for a few days before both worked perfectly. However went to the car today and now both aren't working.

I'm hopeful it will be a loose or dirty connection somewhere but has anyone else experienced this at all?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. epox

epox Active Member

[Jul 25, 2014]
    Had this with some cheap bulbs, usually switching off and on again sorted them.

Mark
  4. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 25, 2014]
    Had the same... I found if I left the lights on for 10-20secs then turned off and on again the Xenon would fire up normally..

I replaced my ballasts in the end (already had 6000k bulbs) and not had a problem since...

<tuffty/>
  5. phil08

phil08 Member

[Jul 25, 2014]
    Thanks for the replies.

It does seem odd they have started to fail with new bulbs. Does this have anything to do with the higher output of bulb I am using?

I have noticed that if I turn the engine off and then start it again and put the lights back on they will work but rarely come back on with engine running, presenting an issue at night if they suddenly fail!

I am actually going to try and put the old bulbs back in for now to see if that stops it. If so its either the bulbs or my ballast I'd imagine
  6. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 25, 2014]
    I bought new bulbs for mine initially... did the same thing which prompted me to replace the ballasts...

<tuffty/>
  7. phil08

phil08 Member

[Jul 26, 2014]
    Excellent thanks for that. I have tried keeping them off for 10+ secs when they fail and it seems to prompt the ballast into firing up so at least I have lights for now.
  8. phil08

phil08 Member

[Jul 27, 2014]
    Now seems only one ballast will fire up again.

I've seen some replacement ballasts on ebay for around £30 each. Would this be about right in terms of pricing? It does mention on the advert that they will be a direct replacement for many vehicles including the A3/S3 8L.
  9. epox

epox Active Member

[Jul 28, 2014]
    try em tuning on here for ballasts, think they are about the same but you know it wont be ****

mark
  10. phil08

phil08 Member

[Jul 28, 2014]
    I have been in contact and will certainly be getting my ballasts from trups having been in contact with him and already having a set of his bulbs.

My drivers side xenon works 50% of the time but the passenger side no longer works at all.

My fog lights and side lights work perfectly which makes me think it can't be the headlight switch and therefore must be the ballasts. If I could find a set of facelight xenon units I'd go the whole hog and buy them but I can't really justify the price.