Headlight Washers - stopped working

AL_B

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone else had this? Common problem? Easy to fix?

Do the washers pop out under pressure from the pump or are the electically actuated? Elsawin doesn't seem to say.

How easy is it to remove the bumper and get it back on looking spot on? I have all the instructions on how to do it from Elsawin, but just wondered if its an easy one man job...or should I just book it into the dealers, as I still have the mondial Warranty.

ta

AL

beaten to that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

they work under pressure, have the same prob with mine but havent sorted it yet.

The bumper is pretty easy to remove and refit as they slot into sliders on the wing - great design. well it looks relatively easy as i got my boys in the workshop to do mine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I thought they did...pop out under pressure.

Doesn't seem to be anything leaking anywhere. Nothing under the car.

Windscreen washer are working. The only thing which is a bit strange is how the right-most nozzle on the drivers side wind-screen washer spray jet, doesn't seem to come out with as much force as the others. Which I was kind-of just living with, it wasn't a major issue.

But now the Headlight washer jets are not popping out.

AL

try the pipe connected to the right headlamp washer, i had the same prob but i kept losing fluid

I had a problem with mine and the pump had gone. You could tell it had gone as it was making a higher pitched sound...almost as if there wasn't any water in the reservoir, but there was. Took it to Audi...£185 fitted!

Not sure if that'll help.

No that helps mate. I'll try to listen for a high pitched sound. And it gives me an idea of the price of a new pump, if needed.

Think I'll use my warranty on this one.

Cheers

AL

Yep definately has 2 pumps, and only comes on with the headlights on.
Al, have you tried to pry the headlamp washers out by hand? they are spring loaded and a bit tough, Just pull them out to see of they slide in and out easily enough. If so the fault will be to d with the pump.

You aren't using cheap screenwash are you AL?

I know the VAG washer ject and headlight washers are known to gum up if you use that tuppence-a-gallon blue stuff from the likes of Halfords as it crystalises something rotten.

VAG only recommend their own (expensive) stuff that doesn't leave any residue.

Just a thought...

Thanks for the suggests lads.

(Hi Mo! not seen you around for ages)

Mo,

What only comes out with the headlights on?
You sure its ok just prying them out?

Glen,

Ooops, I have indeed been using Halfords stuff, but their concentrated stuff that you mix yourself.

Do you use / did you use the Audi stuff Glen?

AL

Hi Al, still around just busy.
I Meant the washers come out with with the headlights on.

Yeah as long as the weather is not freezing you will be ok prying the washers out with your fingers if you canget them under that is. You wont damage them

[ QUOTE ]

Glen,

Ooops, I have indeed been using Halfords stuff, but their concentrated stuff that you mix yourself.

Do you use / did you use the Audi stuff Glen?

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the cheap blue stuff in my GTI...but I used the correct VAG stuff in the S3.
Any VAG car with either fan spray window washer jets or headlight washers are supposed to use the proper VAG stuff as it assures you don't gum up the washer jets or mechanisms.

I continue to use the VAG stuff on the C4S too...as it has fan jets and headlight sprays.

It's possible this is why yours are playing up...

They have possibly been gummed up by ingesting all the spray thrown up by two 255 section tyres down that stretch of road the other day Al! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sounds to me like another excuse to swap cars!

Glen,

Your recommendation is good enough for me...VAG stuff from now on, in the S3 and our Golf. Golf has fan jets.

They are actually working again today...very strange...and yes I was holding the stalk in for more than 2 seconds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I expect there is a bit of gunk in there from the cheap fluid.

What do you think is the best way of clearing this? Drain the system (or squirt it all out) and then fill with quite warm water, may be a bit of vinegar in? And squirt it all through? Something like that?

David,

I think its bits of bitumen thrown up by those tyres causing my washers to stick in the bumper!! That and probably 500+ miles of road grime. Car is the filthy at the moment.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Going back to my original question though.....is the bumper easy to remove?

AL

[ QUOTE ]

Going back to my original question though.....is the bumper easy to remove?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to remove my front bumper once to deal with a pheasant that had sacrificed it's life in order to pop out the lower grill. It's pretty easy if I remember, it's been a while. There are obvious torx screws under the wheel arches holding the spray guards, a couple of torx screws along the bottom of the bumper and then a couple of flimsy expanding plastic things in the top under the shut line of the bonnet (take out last). You pop each side out from the wheelarches and pull away from the front, obviously the washer jets and water pipes are fixed to it so go steady.

It was pretty easy and alarmingly flexible if i remember right.

Take the oppurtunity whilst it's off to get rid of the leaves and gunk that will have accumulated on your intercooler matrix to allow it work as efficiently as possible.

Al.

think of the plastic clips as a rivit.

the idea is you push the middle out and they release..

pushing the middle out they easily get lost, but dont worry they are Pence from Audi.

another trick depends on how they are fitted.

The centre pin is hollow, with one end blanked.

if the hollow end is facing up, the easiest thing to do is hand wind a wood screw into them and pull them out!

if the blank end is showing, then you can only push them through and out.

Refit them hollow end up, so in future you can use wood screw trick. ;o)

Yep, long woodscrew is method i use too! Lost too many of the little feckers before!! lol

Rich

Latest in the washer problems.

Headlight washers have been fine since posting this...so not needed to remove bumper or anything.

But I think Glen may have a point regarding the washer fluid.

We all know its a cold day today, about -2 to -3 ambient on the way to work this morning.

But on getting to work, I was shocked to see on my wipers and lower part of the windscreen, that the washer fluid that I had been using on the way in to clean the windscreen had frozen!! I don't think the ratio of fluid:water is too thin, as the frozen liquid is dark green!

I guess wind-chill at 100kph may have caused this. But has this happened to anyone else?

This halfords washer fluid is history now as far as I'm concerned! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AL

I have pretty rich washer fluid and a few weeks ago I made the mistake of using mine after being on motorway for about 10 mins. It froze to the screen instantly.

Not sure what the setup is on the Octavia wrt heated jets, etc, but it was fluid when it hit the screen, so superchilled screen must have done it.
I think it's halfords stuff too..

****** surprise, that's for sure.
Wipers wouldn't scrape the ice off either - I ended up spraying more on there in the hope enough of it would remain liquid that it might clear a gap.
Luckily it worked.