Headlight washers not working

Martin63

Reaction score
Hi - I'm new to the forum.
I have a problem with my 2011 A7 and hope you can help.
In the recent cold weather the headlight washers froze (flaps were stuck open). As the weather has warmed so the washers have defrosted and the flaps closed, however ever since they froze the washers have not worked at all.
The windscreen washers continue to work as they should.
I'd like to avoid a trip to the dealer for such a simple problem and wonder whether it may be a fuse, but can't find a fuse listed in the book for the headlight washers. Can any one advise which fuse I should check?

I’m pretty sure it’s operated by water pressure alone.

See here for exploded parts view.

There is a separate water pump for the headlight wash circuit. Item#3 Perhaps it’s not working, so the system never is never pressurised?

Reactions: Leebroath
I tried to disable the headlight washer pump on my B7 but discovered that they're on the same fuse and relay as the screen washer pump so I ended up putting a switch into the earth wire. I'm looking to do the same to my SQ5 because IMO they're only good for emptying the washer bottle and making a mess of the bonnet.

With xenons they're technically an mot failure but for the last 4 or 5 years I've always forgotten to switch them back on and it's always passed. I agree that it's probably the pump (assuming no leaks) but if I was you I wouldn't bother fixing them.

Thanks for your responses.
My only logic in fixing them was because I thought it would be an MOT failure, but based on SteveMcB's experience I'll leave them alone.