Headlight Washer Frequency (MY10 8P3 A3 BE)

rdfcpete

Reaction score
Guys,

I've set the headlight washer activation frequency value in the adaptations in the CE Module to every 254 pulls of the screenwash stalk. It was spooling the HL washers much too often and I was rinsing through screen wash, as well as dirtying a clean car :no: lol.

Having set the frequency to 254 (maximum value being 255 if I recall), they still spool and squirt much much more often than every 254 times using the screen wash squirt- it might even be every single drive that this value resets - is that true? :think:

I want them to work but come on once in a blue moon, particularly as we're in 'Xenon on for most driving time' territory now.

It's an 8P3 MY10 A3 Black Edition.

Thanks
Pete.

You can set them to come on in a certain number of screen washes aswell & also how long before they activate when pulling stalk, so try adjusting the latter, not frequency.

You can set them to come on in a certain number of screen washes as well & also how long before they activate when pulling stalk, so try adjusting the latter, not frequency.

That you Nige, different account? :thumbsup:

This is the adaptation value I've set to 254.
Can't find anything else headlight washer related.

What else should I be looking for, which module and where? :(

I tested it right after my last VCDS session, switched the headlights on, pulled the windscreen wash stalk three times and it activated the HL washers and doused the clean car headlights in juice from them :sadlike:

activation.jpg

Thanks.

That you Nige, different account? :thumbsup:

This is the adaptation value I've set to 254.
Can't find anything else headlight washer related.

What else should I be looking for, which module and where? :(

I tested it right after my last VCDS session, switched the headlights on, pulled the windscreen wash stalk three times and it activated the HL washers and doused the clean car headlights in juice from them :sadlike:

activation.jpg

Thanks.

Maybe :)

The delay option is for how long before the washer activates after you pull the stalk so to avoid it doing it all the time when pulling so a momentary pull of stalk for screen wash doesnt make it run or it should be, the other setting I've seen is how often it actiavtes when pulling stalk as in it activates every say 3 pulls of stalk makes the washers work once also, if you get me.

Hmmm, interesting. When I've selected that option, that little popup box that describes the function says it's words to the effect of "Number of times you pull the windscreen wash stalk without the headlight washers activating", so it seems that is for that and I can't in which case find the headlight washer delay setting...

If I pull the stalk quickly, or hold it on, it activates every single drive. Not sure what to do. I thought about taking the fuse out for them as they're pi**ing through screen wash and ruin my detailing work :think:
But all in all, I need them to work in an ideal world, just without being so frequent.

Cheers.

Any thing else I can adjust Nige? They're literally spraying every time I first use the windscreen wipe on every drive.

Pain in das rear. In my MK5 Golf GTI (MY06 with factory winter pack) I didn't have this issue at all on it's headlight washers. It had the 25byte BCM too... Hmm.

From (my rusty) memory:

The figure nnn is multiplied by 50 to give you a figure in miliseconds.

BUT

If you car is MY10 then it may well have the later CE module, in which case the headlamp washer is controlled elsewhere, and will activate between 00 and 04 (1 and 5) pulls of the windscreen washer.

Mine is set so that the headlamp washer activates every 5th pull of the windscreen washer - but to prolong the life of my screenwash, I normally just turn my light switch onto the sidelights position when I wash my screen, so that my headlamp wash doesn't activate !!

From (my rusty) memory:

The figure nnn is multiplied by 50 to give you a figure in miliseconds.

BUT

If you car is MY10 then it may well have the later CE module, in which case the headlamp washer is controlled elsewhere, and will activate between 00 and 04 (1 and 5) pulls of the windscreen washer.

Mine is set so that the headlamp washer activates every 5th pull of the windscreen washer - but to prolong the life of my screenwash, I normally just turn my light switch onto the sidelights position when I wash my screen, so that my headlamp wash doesn't activate !!

Flicking to side lights isn't really going to be practical or safe for me to do, but I see the logic there...

It is indeed the MY10 BCM and indeed everything is in the Central electronics module.
I'm finding the newer BCM bit of a nightmare to find any practical long coding values for.

There must be a setting somewhere in the CE module that controls this?

Maybe the better option is as mentioned above! set headlamp wash to activate after 2.5 seconds? that allows enough time to soak the windscreen without them activating.

Sod's Law says even with them set to only wash every 254 times, it's going to happen every time you've cleaned the car.

I know you have the newer Module, but does the Long coding helper not work in a very similar manner to previous incarnations? and are the module changes so extreme?

here's an image of MY09 module washer delay setting:

WASHER DELAY

BTW: this is in "Coding>Long Coding Helper", not "Adaptation".

Last edited:
I know you have the newer Module, but does the Long coding helper not work in a very similar manner to previous incarnations? and are the module changes so extreme?

here's an image of MY09 module washer delay setting:

View attachment 8909

BTW: this is in "Coding>Long Coding Helper", not "Adaptation".

Nope :(

My CE module Byte 5 looks like thiiiis:
nopewrongffs.jpg

Out of interest, if you change those values, which part of the '00110010' value string changes if I may ask?

Thanks.

Out of interest, if you change those values, which part of the '00110010' value string changes if I may ask?

Thanks.
okay, just tested this and that string value doesn't change at all, what changes is the heading code ... i.e: when i set it at 20 instead of 50, the little box on line 3 with the value [32] changes to [05] or something similar. :think:

okay, just tested this and that string value doesn't change at all, what changes is the heading code ... i.e: when i set it at 20 instead of 50, the little box on line 3 with the value [32] changes to [05] or something similar. :think:

I appreciate you trying, thanks :thumbsup:

Not sure what that means either... I could try and guess a value to enter there and see what happens. As long as I record the current value it probably won't impact on much. Worst that can happen is it will reject the code and error on entry I suppose?

I'm surprised in locking down the later CECM's/BCMs that Audi have taken away practical features like this, doesn't feature much logic to me.

It might be worth a try, if I remember correctly [05] is the default value for a 1 second activation delay (which is where you're currently at) & it's looking like [32] somehow equates to 2.5 secs. Even if if it saves but doesn't work, everything you need to revert back to default is posted above. :icon_thumright:

Just saw this today, not sure it's covered here & it might seem a bit obvious, but you might want to check in the same module that Headlight Washer Installed is selected - if you have such an option.

Headlamp washer installed

Just saw this today, not sure it's covered here & it might seem a bit obvious, but you might want to check in the same module that Headlight Washer Installed is selected - if you have such an option.

View attachment 8976

I'll check this chief and feedback, ta.

On a side surely, if that wasn't ticked, surely they wouldn't function at all(?) bearing in mind they were factory fitted when new?

Been away working Pete so havnt had chance to get back to this thread.

You can certainly select disable headlight washer altogether, whether it will do so is another matter as it sees the connection, worth a shot.