Headlight washer caps

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
yes problems come in three's!!

noticed after my long drive to Scotland that one of my headlight washer bodycoloured covers is loose, the washer still works as it should...but the cover rattles around in its seat...any ideas?

mine does this to they look like they are half poped out all the time, im having the bumper off tomorrow and plan on working on the covers so i might be able to help

dunno bout you mate but im worried am gonna have to have a new one which means having the chuff sprayed.....let me know how you get on

Tim,Kev I did mine at Christmas you have to put some plastic shim in to bring them back flush...2 screws at the back and they come off it's quite easy but fiddly and the shim has to be cut to fit as they go inbetween interlocking parts.

Last edited:
Photo1023.jpg

does this answer your question Tim

Tim,Kev I did mine at Christmas you have to put some plastic shim in to bring them back flush...2 screws at the back and they come off it's quite easy but fiddly and the shim has to be cut to fit as they go inbetween interlocking parts.

cheers mate im not actually having the bumper off to look at the washers though i was just going to look for tim as im having mine flushed off the bumper so need to remove all the gubbing out of them :icon_thumright:,
i no you need them to have xenons but im facelifting my lights at the same time and rather then using xenon lights im going to use poor mans bulbs in a3 lights to avoid any issues (cheapest soloution for facelift headlights on the s3) :hi:

i got the same problem and am also having the bumper off at some point soon

when i first noticed it i did pull the washher jet up out of the bumper and saw that the clips holding the cover in place have worn, and thanks to mr vorhees, has confirmed my thoughts of having to shim out the clips :)

i may even use some sort of plastic glue, just gotta be careful not to get it everywhere lol

ive prised them up so far but dont want to break them haha - how far did you get, you cant really work on them whilst holding up either as they shoot back down just as quick

they do come off but they are tricky! have to pull jets right up and get a couple small flat head screw drivers to prize the clips. bit of patience will pay off! they do wear tho so can become loose. easy enough to buy new ones and get a bodyshop to blow them in. easy job . dont bodge...do it properly! lol

ive prised them up so far but dont want to break them haha - how far did you get, you cant really work on them whilst holding up either as they shoot back down just as quick

i got mine as far up as they would go i.e their fullest extent when operating, i wouldnt do it again though, felt like they could break with too much manhandling, from what ive read the front bumper is easy to get off so would suggest you do so and then find a way of securing them in the 'up' position so you can work on the cover/clips

if all goes to plan i will be doing this, amongst other jobs, next weekend, so i will post up pics and details of how i got on, may come in useful for someone

ok just had the bumper off and had a look for you, you dont need to remove the washer caps at all to repair (so no worries of breaking them) your need the bumper off though then the washer jets are held on with 2 self tapping type screws undo these then pull the washer jet away from the bumper so as to make the washer jet caps sit flush into the bumper. instead of using plastic spacers i cant see any problem with just using little washers and just space out as reqiured.

hope that makes sense and is of help to you

cheers Kev..... will give that a go in the summer, my concern was that they were gna fly off at some point