headlight upgrade, is this the right choice...?

Just fitted the face lift xenons to my s3,
For anyone considering this i found that all wiring between the 2 was the same with the exception of the adjuster motors,
as i was not about to start cutting up my wiring loom i managed to swap the motors out of my old lights so it was all plug and play,
just thought i would add this as the thread is showing a difference between the main light wiring connector which on the xenons is not the case,
However the cutting of the wing is still necassary.
Just thought i would add this as this thread has helped me i hope this will help someone else
Cheers, Keith

RichA3Turbo said:
correct. Youve got high beam and low beam the wrong way round!
when the original pre-facelift lights were removed, we came to the conclusion that the cables meant the following:
yellow = dipped
orange = side
white = main
grey = fog

so i wired the cables in the rectuangular plug in the new lights to be: white/yellow/orange/brown, that worked but the main lights and the dipped lights were going to the wrong bulb (ie, dipped was turning on the H7 bulbs and main was turning on the H1 bulbs), no problem with sidelights.

going by what i thought the wires correspond to, i thought it would be straightforward to swap the orange/yellow connectors around to correct it.

at the moment, the cables on the rectangular connector are now white/orange/yellow/brown, but now, turning the dial 1 notch turns on the H7 bulbs. turning it 2 notches is H7, the little sidelights and a bulb out warning :) pulling the left hand side stalk illuminates the H1 bulbs and pushing the left stalk forward does nothing..

..which is worse than before, help!

Keith_S3 said:
Just fitted the face lift xenons to my s3,
For anyone considering this i found that all wiring between the 2 was the same with the exception of the adjuster motors,
as i was not about to start cutting up my wiring loom i managed to swap the motors out of my old lights so it was all plug and play,
just thought i would add this as the thread is showing a difference between the main light wiring connector which on the xenons is not the case,
However the cutting of the wing is still necassary.
Just thought i would add this as this thread has helped me i hope this will help someone else
Cheers, Keith

So you're saying no wire chopping is required at all? That's good.

Where did you get the lights from?

I cant remember for sure and its too dark to go out and check, but from left to right i think mines are wired up:

Yellow White Orange Brown

Or if its not that it just might be Yellow Orange white Brown,

But i think the first is correct, if you cant get it then get a friend and a multimeter and check which wire(s) are live on which turn of the dial.

rodenal said:
I cant remember for sure and its too dark to go out and check, but from left to right i think mines are wired up:

Yellow White Orange Brown

Or if its not that it just might be Yellow Orange white Brown,

But i think the first is correct, if you cant get it then get a friend and a multimeter and check which wire(s) are live on which turn of the dial.
i cant get mine done till next weekend now :( so if you (or anyone) could check at some point during this week, that'll be greatly appreciated.

Got my lights off of good old ebay,
and i had no wires to cut at all just the wing

I haven't got time to do it now, but search for facelift headlight or something along those lines, or check all posts my myself and find the one where i'm discussing fitting them as i listed all the pin numbers and what they do on the old circular connector.

hmm, lol i can't remember. Thing is i've got a multi meter and i just buzzed the pins out. Tell you how you can do it, take the rear cover off of your facelift headlamps and actually look where the wires are going from the connector from the inside.

Thinking about it i've got a headlamp sat upstairs let me look *runs upstairs*

Ok, from the flat edge of the rectangle connector (or left to right looking at the back of the headlamp)

Dipped beam, Main beam, Sidelight, Earth.

Best of luck.

Reactions: fanta
I've just ordered the facelift headlights and rear lights. Won't be too long before I'm rattling your brains!

173euro's for both sets. not too bad.

Does anyone know which way the lever should be for LHD / RHD?

I've just received my headlights from Germany and want to get them properly adjusted before I fit them.

Thanks

On mine the lever goes up to set them to rhd -

should be fairly obvious once they're on

Guys, am I right in think I need S3 facelift lights specifically or will A3 ones do it (for my S3)? I'm seeing plenty of A3 ones on ebay.de but S3 is not included in the listing.

Many thanks.

Not sure how they would work with an S3 as i believe the bulb gaps for the HID's are different?

Ok, thanks for the reply.

In that case I need some S3 ones please someone!

My set of facelift headlamps will be for sale soon if anyone is interested. They've been on my car since the summer no marks or anything, only getting rid because i'm upgrading to S3 xenons. Probably about £60 including delivery. I'll post them properly in the for sale section when i get my other S3 headlamp! (Only got one at the moment).

oh, triggermyson if you have an S3 you will specifically need S3 headlamps as they will take the xenon bulbs which are a totally different fitment to halogens. (so no, those wont work).

another silly question, on the ebay ones from germany, of the 2 white "adjusting thingys" which adjusts what? height/left and right?

they only adjust height - one for full beam and one for the headlamp.

Left/right hand drive is dealt with via a seperate lever, and you cannot(easily) adjust them a little to the left or right

my car is currently in the garage for my cambelt service and they've told me that my lights are dipping the wrong way, whereabouts is the lever which adjusts the direction of the dip?

a diagram/pic to show where the switch is would be good.

much appreciated.

ok the photo is rubbish i know, but my phone camera wouldnt focus right and iwasnt for taking them out the car:

2569508960a3086761070b226050719l.jpg

Where the arrow is pointing there is a metal lever, sits right at the base so u need to get your hand right in the unit, urs will probably be sitting at the bottom setting so easier to see, just set it to the top setting. On mine the lever sits to the main beam side of the headlight, if that makes any sense.

that helps. i'll have to get it done/looked at tomorrow when i have a moment.

I have a question regarding headlights if there is any one out there that has experiance of the genuine Audi facelift Zenon light units!
Just recently the right hand light unit doesnt look like it is self levelling as it is pointing at the ground. It is typically an intermittant fault but it did it again this morning so I was wondering if anyone knew how the self levelling bit works as maybe it needs a clean or has experianced anything similar?
Many thanks in advance.
Stephen

shollis said:
I have a question regarding headlights if there is any one out there that has experiance of the genuine Audi facelift Zenon light units!
Just recently the right hand light unit doesnt look like it is self levelling as it is pointing at the ground. It is typically an intermittant fault but it did it again this morning so I was wondering if anyone knew how the self levelling bit works as maybe it needs a clean or has experianced anything similar?
Many thanks in advance.
Stephen
Post it in a new thread mate. Got more chance of catching someones attention.

How's the car, rid of the problems on PH?
Get your cambelt done in the end?
Andy

Andy

Good to hear from you mate!

Still got the same fault code coming up but changing the MAF made the world of difference.

I have still got to get round to doing the cambelt and the suspension bushes (although looking at them now it seems that changing the entire lower front wishbone would be easier). Im just waiting for the better weather!
Do you know which are the bushes to change on the rear suspension as I feel they need doing as well?

I was going to get in touch with you agin as I have a question regard the 18" wheels you have on your car. Where did you get them from again and what is the best offset for the 1.8 T? Are they 18" x 8 or 8.5?

and yes, I think I will start another thread!!

Cheers

Stephen

How hard is the body work to do? i.e the grinding of the wing. Want to change mine to the facelift ones, not to worried about the wiring, but bit nervous about grinding out the wing. Can anyone give me a bit more detail on how to do this and how hard it is. Pictures would be great. Thanks.

I too have been wanting to change the lights, But prefer to use the facelift lights. I have ordered the connectors and wires from Audi, Now I am really struggling to find anyone who has these at a decent price. I tried the ebay link, but it is out of date, so cant even track the seller.

Anyone know where I can find a set a a fair price or know the user ID of the ebay sell in Germany?
Thanking you all

Just as I was gonna give up and pay top dollar, I found a set of headlights and the glove box I was after for £110 delivered. I think its a bargain,

that is very good, were they second hand?? I paid 190 quid for mine direct from Hella.

Hi, long time reader, first time poster :)

I'm thinking of a similar conversion, but I haven't had an opportunity to compare the mounting points of the two types of lights - notwithstanding the wing mod required, do the upgrade lights attach to the same points as the earlier types, and if not what's the best way of attaching them to keep them secure, and thus possible to adjust?

Thanks for the help and for a great forum! :)

There are slightly different mounting points, however the main 2 screws on top of the units remain the same from pre to post facelift.

The lights may bounce around a little fixed in just with these if that's the case then a piece of rubber stuck in the bottom will stop it - either that or you could easily make yourself up some kind of bracket.